Anaphylaxis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, yellowjackets. I consulted experts and the bottom line is that there is no real way to predict sensitivity. Venoms vary widely, and it appears that in general you must experience exposure before sensitivity materialises.

I always carry spare injectors on any dive trip, plus prescribed antihistimines. Never had to use though.

All the nasty stuff in Indonesia and Philippines, any my reaction was from yellowjacket floating on the surface while I was swimming in a pool in California. Got it on the chin, nearly died.

I think it's pretty funny.

Dan responded pretty quickly to me email. Here it is...

Thank you for your e-mail and membership support. According to toxicology experts the venom found in marine animals is chemically different than that found in hymenoptera species. So the marine venoms are not known to cause the same reaction. Please keep in mind that individuals can have sensitivity both types of venom but they are completely independent of each other. We of course recommend just for general safety that you have your doctor prescribe an appropriate medication kit to have with you. This is more in case you happen to encounter a stinging insect rather than the marine animals. If we can be any further assistance do not hesitate to contact DAN.

....And I found out first hand that the venom is different this weekend. I got nailed by a Portuguese Man-O-War on Saturday. D@mn do those things hurt!!!

....And I found out first hand that the venom is different this weekend. I got nailed by a Portuguese Man-O-War on Saturday. D@mn do those things hurt!!!

Good to know. However, I would still make sure to always have Epi and benedryl on hand. A reaction does not always occur the first time.

Beeracuda, you had mentioned about being fully covered so as not to get stung. I dive a dry suit in cold water and I still managed to get stung even though I was "completely" covered. I was stung around the lip area of my mouth. Very little skin was exposed here but the jelly still got me with one of it's tentacles. So just an FYI.

I just left the allergist office. He said I shouldn't worry about the jellyfish. He said yes, they hurt like hell, but other than that....

He did say I could either start the shots or just go ahead and sign all my stuff over to him. :O He also said I was very lucky because my GP kept me on a beta blocker which makes my EpiPen almost useless! He said he would contact him immediately to get him to change or take me off the stuff. I don't think I need it anymore since I've lost 70 pounds. My blood pressure at the allergist's office today was 112/68....

Actually, the effects of epi that work well in anaphylaxis are primary alpha effects, so beta blockers don't cause too much trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom