Analog pressure gauge on inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glocklt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone has seen a pressure gauge that attaches inline on an inflator. My wife and I have Aeris Atmos AI computers and so the only air pressure reading we can get is through the computer. If something happens to computer while under, or if it's wrong for some weird reason - no idea of knowing. The instructor where my wife received her advanced cert said that we should get a small gauge that goes in-line on the inflator hose, however I'm having a hard time searching for this. Any tips on what it's called exactly or recommendations on one?

That would be an IP gauge. It is used during service, not for diving. It measures the pressure coming out of the 1st stage, not the tank pressure.

If you don't trust your AI computer, then you need a SPG.

Your inflator hose doesn't give the pressure of the tank. it is attached to the low pressure port on your first stage. It's not uncommon, however to have a normal gauge attached to your rig, even if you have an air integrated computer.

Does your regulator have 2 hp ports, or just 1?

The problem you may face is that your reg has only 1 high pressure port and you already have the transmitter for your AI computer screwed into that 1 port. You need a 2nd port to which you can connect the analog SPG.

Monitoring the inflator tells you nothing useful because it will stay virtually constant, reading the intermediate pressure of 140psi, independent of tank pressure until just moments before you run out of air.

Thanks for the info guys. Good point about the inflator hose not having the proper pressure since it's on the low side. I'll have to check my 1st stage to see if there is another high pressure port, but I bet you are right that there are only two and reg/computer are using them.

It's not that I don't trust the PSI reading on my computer, just that it wouldn't hurt to have a backup. Since you mentioned that it's probably an IP gauge not meant to be used during service, I wonder why the instructor mentioned getting one. I think that he showed us one on his rig too. It has been a few months now though, so I'm not certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom