Analog Gauges and you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierbri10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering, I am a very techno geek and love gadgets and things. I am also a pilot and am used to living in the ice age in regards to guages and things. So I was wondering who still uses analog guages as thier primary information source for diving? I mean, I see the added safety and knowledge of computer/digital. I also see the added reliability and simplicity of analog. Coming up in the future when I do purchase my own equipment would it be better to start with analog to have it as a back up and learn the ropes and then purchase a computer. Or purchase the computer right away and start diving in this century? Personally, I like to have the reliabilty or analog but I love the features of digital.
Another idea I had was to first get analog and a nice dive watch that I have been eyeing and get a computer when finances allowed.

What do you think and please don't bee too biased.

Skier,
Just like flying . . . learn to use the old stuff. You NEVER KNOW when you'll need to fly needle, ball, airspeed, altitude and magnetic heading.

Being able to do that just makes GPS flying that much easier!

the Kraken-Rotor Head

I have a dive computer that is not air intergrated but keeps up with every thing but my air pressure . Its nice to have the computer , but it is also nice to still have the analog console that keeps up with my air ... computers are not perfect they can shut down at anytime unexpected , so its good to have a back up plan using the dive tables just in case the comp shuts down........

I've always thought that analog instruments are best for displaying information on a continnum, like depth, time, and pressure, and that digital instruments are best for displaying discrete information like temperature, what number the deli is serving next, what day of the week it is, or what phone number you just missed a call from.

From the standpoint of reliability and intuitive understanding, you can't go wrong with good analog gauges. There's a tradeoff as you know though, in that digital dive computers are able to calculate your NDLs on the fly, download your dive profiles to your computer, and present much of the information you need on a single display.

Personally, I started out analog, and got a computer only once I was comfortable diving with tables. I'm glad I did.

I started with analog guages and tables, moved to air integrated computer, and now dive with analog spg, wrist mounted digital bottom timer and wrist compass.
don't misss the air integrated computer at all, love being free to plan on the fly without the restrictions the computer used to insist on (i.e. beeping, flashing, lock outs) most computers are not very flexible when it comes to gas switches and required deco stops.
just my 2 cents.

I use gages and a wristwatch; have for years.

Once I went into a dive shop to purchase a gage console and the young clerk there told me that I had a latent death wish if I didn't use a computer.

Well, I am still here!

Actually, I have nothing against dive computers. I don't find them necessary for the type of diving I do. Should I begin to dive in places other than the reefs and shallow wrecks of S. Florida, I shall purchase a couple.

garyfotodiver:
I use gages and a wristwatch; have for years.

Once I went into a dive shop to purchase a gage console and the young clerk there told me that I had a latent death wish if I didn't use a computer.

He was right! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!!!

Well, eventually anyway, and hopefully not too soon! :D

I really like my computer, but keep an analog depth gauge in my pocket, and wear a watch, so I can do a normal, safe ascent and know how deep and long the dive was, for use in planning the next dive (in case of failure).

Terry

skierbri10:
I was just wondering, I am a very techno geek and love gadgets and things. I am also a pilot and am used to living in the ice age in regards to guages and things. So I was wondering who still uses analog guages as thier primary information source for diving? I mean, I see the added safety and knowledge of

I vote for having the analogue gauges for the reasons others have mentioned. I use analog gauges with a wrist computer.

So it seems that all of you are saying that it would be okay to start with just an analog gauge and it will be okay to put off the computer for a couple of months until I can afford one. I am glad I have this message board because I would be lost without all of you. Looks like I will start with analog and get a computer later. This can only give me more knowledge and understanding of this awesome sport.

Back
Top Bottom