An ugly word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Poor Mexico. So far from God and so close to the United States"

Porfirio Diaz

Yeah and he's been abroad for over 100 years so what do we call him

I think Mexicans should continue to use the word gringo to refer to us. The world is far too sensitive about the issue and needs a little (or a lot) of desensitization right now.
Yes! This! Anybody offended by being called a gringo or gabacho is taking themselves too seriously. If it is meant in a mean spirited manner, so be it. Often it is just joking among friends. It is very easy for me to refer to "los gabachos" in conversation with my Mexican friends. Often we seem so different to them, and we might as well laugh about our differences, do we do.

If you posted this a couple of years ago, I would probably give a shrug and tell you to lighten up. However, nowadays, I also find the flippant use of the word 'Gringo' cringe inducing. I agree with the above posters about the glaring double standard of what is considered tolerable versus offensive. I shake my head whenever I read about different universities implementing rules regarding cultural appropriation. On one hand, braided hair, hoop earrings and dresses with Emperor collars on dresses are considered offensive if you are not part of an ethnic group. On the other hand, blond jokes and referring to women as bitches and ho's are not worth batting an eye. The social warrior justice leagues are selective in their outrage and will throw the shade on you if you happen to be a blond female.

I used to be called "huero" quite a bit growing up. Didn't bother me and still doesn't. The nicknames used back then for darker skin Mexicans or those who looked Asian wouldn't fly today.
I would rather be called that gringo than that fat bald guy. Just don't call me late for dinner!

Words are just letters grouped together. We give them meaning. By this I suppose I mean that the word(s) are not the problem and banning this or that word does not solve anything. The problem is that it is an unfortunate truth of nature that some individuals in any given society will only feel better about themselves by belittling others and they will find a way to do this regardless of others attempts at political correctness.

Some words may originate as slurs but often the reverse is true and a word develops into a slur over time and use, such as the term moron, imbecile and idiot. Almost any word (or a variation) used with malicious intent can become derogatory.

If you posted this a couple of years ago, I would probably give a shrug and tell you to lighten up. However, nowadays, I also find the flippant use of the word 'Gringo' cringe inducing. I agree with the above posters about the glaring double standard of what is considered tolerable versus offensive. I shake my head whenever I read about different universities implementing rules regarding cultural appropriation. On one hand, braided hair, hoop earrings and dresses with Emperor collars on dresses are considered offensive if you are not part of an ethnic group. On the other hand, blond jokes and referring to women as bitches and ho's are not worth batting an eye. The social warrior justice leagues are selective in their outrage and will throw the shade on you if you happen to be a blond female.
Things are very bad in higher education in connection with political correctness, but I'm unaware of any 'rules' preventing a white student from wearing dreadlocks. There are some K-12 school districts that are currently being sued for attempting to prevent Black students from wearing 'natural' hairstyles. The last time i was on a university campus (this year) I saw lots of white boys with dreads. When I was in college in the 1960s/70s we called Afros on white kids 'Isros', since most were jewish.

Is cultural appropriation formally disallowed anywhere? I've been out of the game for years, but I remember white kids wearing African dashikis and black kids wearing European suits and ties without any negative comment not much more than 10 years ago. Maybe things have changed more than I thought. I can see cultural extremists making disparaging remarks, but college policy?

I'd be interested in knowing who does the considering, as in "considered offensive". Are you suggesting that only Asians are allowed to wear emperor or mandarin collars? I'd be shocked if that were any school's policy. People in the rag trade would bust a gut. I certainly do not believe that referring to women as 'bitches and ho's' is allowed by any university or college administration. They are hyper vigilant regarding anything sexist or hostile to women, sometimes to an absurd extent. Blond jokes have been around since Jesus was a boy. I thought they had disappeared. I haven't heard one in years.

I was recently chastised for using the term 'Pakis" in referring to Pakistanis. Double standards abound. I'm sure my critic has no problem with the terms 'Brits' or "Aussies".

I would be much more insulted to be called a "yanqui" or "yankee" (unless I had a big contract, got to wear the pin stripes and bat DH). Gringo is offensive and meant to be a non-inclusive style slur. Spanish speaking employees aware that I can "hablo y entiendo" never called me "gringo"...instead they called me "Padron" or "Senor Grant".

Now that I have left my Texas homeland and moved to Hawaii the term here for "non-brown" people here is "Haole", which translates to "without a soul".

As for the blond jokes...however old and lame, our local music station here on Hawaii's Big Island has a daily stupid blond joke. Given the current products and condition of Hawaii's education system I would think any jokes regarding anyone's intelligence and IQ would be beyond distasteful.

If we aren't bothered by being called a "gringo," it's because we just don't have the perspective to grasp how bad it is. People in countries other than the US might believe "negro" is an acceptable term to refer to a person with "black" skin because in their language it means what it says and carries no historical baggage, but it's no longer acceptable in the US. "Gringo" never has been acceptable in Mexico. Maybe only a Mexican can grasp just how bad the word is. The joke's on us--that is, we who aren't bothered by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom