An ugly word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll also add that I’ve never ever had a bad experience in Mexico. The folks are warm and charming. Of course we’ll have to put aside the night I got pulled over for racing in Cancun, but I digress.

See so if the inept speech controllers are in the front ranks
when those that can't say what they say anymore
instead they do what they are thinking
I'll pay some more attention

Seems to me this well-intentioned thread is an example that a call to be more 'uptight' (care deeply if you prefer) about a term and make more of an issue about it can exacerbate tensions more so than build respect.

I imagine the overwhelming majority of Mexicans don't know the linguistic origins of the term 'gringo,' aren't terribly interested and it doesn't drive their daily use (or not) of the term. They use it based on what they understand it to mean now, in their context of their local culture.

I suspect we build cross cultural bridges better when we relate in a positive way with one another.

I'm not pushing anyone to call somebody gringo; just saying if it happens to you, and doesn't appear to be the product of ill intent, maybe just let it go?

Richard.

If you feel bad when someone calls you "gringo" when you are in a Spanish speaking country, then consider what we feel when someone call us "Sudaca" or "Latino" when we are in USA (I've not visited Canada yet).

If you feel bad when someone calls you "gringo" when you are in a Spanish speaking country, then consider what we feel when someone call us "Sudaca" or "Latino" when we are in USA (I've not visited Canada yet).
Sudaca is one I didn't know.
"Pejorative term for South Americans by Spaniards, but now used by Central Americans and North Americans who speaks Spanish language. The voice is an ethnic label that comes either from the Spanish SUDA-meri-CA-no (South American) or that word with a suffix. Sometimes Brazilians are not Sudacas, because they don't speak Spanish. And they can't understand it."

"Gringo is and always has been a racial slur." Since when is being from the United States a "race?"
Is the term gringo applied to non-white US/Canadians? Asking out of ignorance; not a rhetorical question.

(Assuming we're defining "race" here as skin color.)

Why exactly is the joke on us? Even if what you are saying is true, and we don't understand the full extent of a horrible insult that word is, and Mexicans do, who cares???

Then maybe I didn’t make my point clearly. Are there ANY derogatory names you would find offensive to be called? If you’re so thick-skinned that you really don’t care, then okay, though you’re almost certainly in the minority.

I have to believe most people feel offended about SOME word that refers to their ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, maybe a physical characteristic, or whatever. Whatever the word may be, it’s a word they understand the (often historical) background to. They have experienced enough instances of its use to grasp what the speaker means or believes. Also, maybe in recent times it’s been beaten into us that it’s a bad word, not to be used nowadays. As much as I favor being thick-skinned, the sticks-and stones defense, and free speech, I have to admit there are some words that are just socially unacceptable today—and for good reason. Maybe another way to say what I’m getting at is that we Americans are capable, because of the culture in which we grew up with the word, of being offended by a certain word because we’re equally capable of using the word offensively, for the same reason. Almost none of us have that kind of appreciation for the word “gringo.” For most of us, if we’re not offended, then maybe we just don’t get it. Most of us don’t like being the butt of a joke we don’t fully grasp. We WOULD care if we understood better.

Better? :)

You don’t have to agree. Just spouting off, of course.

...then consider what we feel when someone call us "Sudaca" or "Latino" when we are in USA

Hadn't heard of the 1st, but the 2nd is a good example of how good intentions can run afoul or practically. Many years ago, I'd heard of Mexicans referred to as Hispanics. Seemed to be the typical designation, neutral, no offense. Then I read somewhere (it's been many years, no, I don't know where) that they were now being called Lanitos. Yeah, fine, whatever. Maybe like the whole 'call us blacks,' then later 'no, call us African Americans,' thing?

Over the years, I've seen 'Hispanics' appear to be the dominant term in use. I've used both on the rare occasion I cared to, but over time, without knowing why, mostly reverted to Hispanic just to go with what contemporary culture seemed to be doing.

Now you indicate Latino is offensive somehow?

And like most people, I won't research it.

Richard.

For most of us, if we’re not offended, then maybe we just don’t get it.

I see your point. Question - if the person speaking to us isn't malevolent towards us, no ill will, do we want to get it, or just let it go? I think that's a core issue.

Richard.

@drrich2 Most Argentinians are of European ethnicity. So when they visit the US, are they what we think of as Latinos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom