An evolution in diving style - beyond BP/W, ultralight sidemount rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you take the sidemount class? Any instructors in the DFW area?

Alan will do a first class job for you and is a great guy to boot. If however you find yourself in Austin and looking for sidemount instruction, then I can heartily recommend moi! Far less of a great guy.

P

I need to stop by and say hi to the group.....I knew they were still on pt hours a bit ago. Shop is a bit far for me but gunna make it one of these days.

I would check with Surface Interval Scuba. I just took the sidemount class from them. I can tell you there are two guys there that have in excess of 1000 dives in Side Mount. I did some checking on Side Mount in the DFW area and found there were only these two shops and one in Denton. I did discover the guy at Iartd only has been diving Side Mount for a about a half a year while the other two have been certified for over two. I have found since the class, Side Mount is an experience thing. Sure you can read a book and go take a class but a few months in it will NOT make you a quality instructor. One of the instructors at SI Scuba did not have a good experience when taking the class from Adam. He told me he learned much more form the experienced guys. Of course this is like everything else in life. Do you want the guy with experience or the guy who just read the book and doesn' know the pitfalls. Plus you need to check out their gear. If it looks beat up and reconfigured, it is because they dive it and have figured out how to make it work. Side Mount is different for everyone. The way it fits you may not be the way it fits the next guy. I have really started noticing all the different configurations since I became certified. This was just one of the things they taught me to look for. They said I will always be adjusting my rig to suit the situation. They were right. All I can say is Thanks to the guys at SI Scuba for taking the time to go beyond just training and actually making sure my gear was right for me. BTW I bought my Nomad form them. Great rig after a few mods.

I took my class from Surface interval and I bought a Nomad from them I took the Nomad to Mexico and dove AL 80 the Nomad worked great I had some equipment help from Siscuba so it went smooth and if I dove blue water and they would only let me use 2 cyl. I coulduse a single the Nomad converted fairly easy, it may not be has stream line has the razor but it will work with al 80 just fine. P.S. SURFACE INTERVAL SCUBA WILL CONDUCTING TEST DRIVES AND POINTERS ON SIDE MOUNT AT CSSP ON THE 12TH OF SEPT

I took my class from Surface interval and I bought a Nomad from them I took the Nomad to Mexico and dove AL 80 the Nomad worked great I had some equipment help from Siscuba so it went smooth and if I dove blue water and they would only let me use 2 cyl. I coulduse a single the Nomad converted fairly easy, it may not be has stream line has the razor but it will work with al 80 just fine. P.S. SURFACE INTERVAL SCUBA WILL CONDUCTING TEST DRIVES AND POINTERS ON SIDE MOUNT AT CSSP ON THE 12TH OF SEPT

When you dove aluminums on the nomad, where did you attach the bottom clip, and did you put weight on the cylinders themsevles?

I would check with Surface Interval Scuba. I just took the sidemount class from them. I can tell you there are two guys there that have in excess of 1000 dives in Side Mount. I did some checking on Side Mount in the DFW area and found there were only these two shops and one in Denton. I did discover the guy at Iartd only has been diving Side Mount for a about a half a year while the other two have been certified for over two. I have found since the class, Side Mount is an experience thing. Sure you can read a book and go take a class but a few months in it will NOT make you a quality instructor. One of the instructors at SI Scuba did not have a good experience when taking the class from Adam. He told me he learned much more form the experienced guys. Of course this is like everything else in life. Do you want the guy with experience or the guy who just read the book and doesn' know the pitfalls. Plus you need to check out their gear. If it looks beat up and reconfigured, it is because they dive it and have figured out how to make it work. Side Mount is different for everyone. The way it fits you may not be the way it fits the next guy. I have really started noticing all the different configurations since I became certified. This was just one of the things they taught me to look for. They said I will always be adjusting my rig to suit the situation. They were right. All I can say is Thanks to the guys at SI Scuba for taking the time to go beyond just training and actually making sure my gear was right for me. BTW I bought my Nomad form them. Great rig after a few mods.

Would you mind sharing what mods you have done to your nomad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom