An Attempt at Understanding DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doh..

Where did you get that inference from what I said?

Are you inferring that Bill Main's rig isn't functional, well thought-out, and appropriate to the conditions of the dive?

Cave Bum ... please don't try putting words in my mouth, or boxing me in with your prejudices. I won't waste my time with people who use that tactic.

FWIW - I just completed a class with Jim Wyatt ... do you know him? Do you think I believe him to be unsafe?

Sheesh ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not putting words in your mouth; I'm pointing out that the DIR configuration isn't the ONLY one around.

Yes, I know Jim. I did my IANTD co-teaches with him and I did my deep dive training with him. He is one of the safest divers I know. If you trained with Jim, you were trained (as was I) to the NSS-CDS standards, at least from the standpoint of the course you took, so I'm sure you are aware of the differences between the NSS-CDS standards and GUE. Both are safe, both are appropriate, but there are differences.

I'm not putting words in your mouth; I'm pointing out that the DIR configuration isn't the ONLY one around.
I never said it was ... so yes, you DID put words in my mouth. And it didn't contribute a damn thing to the discussion.

Yes, I know Jim. I did my IANTD co-teaches with him and I did my deep dive training with him. He is one of the safest divers I know. If you trained with Jim, you were trained (as was I) to the NSS-CDS standards, at least from the standpoint of the course you took, so I'm sure you are aware of the differences between the NSS-CDS standards and GUE. Both are safe, both are appropriate, but there are differences.
Of course I'm aware of the differences. That's hardly the point of this topic ... which, as I said, you missed by a mile.

Try putting your prejudices aside for a moment and read what I actually SAID, rather than what you'd like to believe I did.

And FWIW - the first time I ever heard of Bill "Hogarth" Main was in my first GUE Fundamentals class ... with Brandon Schwartz. So to claim that GUE doesn't recognize his contributions to their system is simply not true ... if you'd read their material, you'd know that the origins of the Hogartian system are easy enough to find, with appropriate acknowledgements to Mr. Main.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok guys -- as some of you have gleaned from another thread -- my personal, face to face, experience with DIR divers local to me have been horrendous (lacking a better single adjective to describe these jerks). ...

Based on your posts in this forum, I have a pretty good idea of why you think DIR divers you interacted with in person were big mean jerks.

Typically, I chalk up the making fun of OW divers for not being DIR stupidity to freshly minted DIR-F students. They often confuse the deserved bashing we did decads ago of technical divers that were horrendous strokes with giving OW divers with no knowledge of or possibly no desire to follow the DIR system grief. Absent egregiously dangerous behaviour, pretty much anyone giving an OW diver a hard time about their diving and configuration doesn't have a clue.

Your trolling here though is frankly getting off light. JeffG needs to crank it up to 11 so you will go away.

disclaimer - i am not gue trained.

but here's what i see as an answer to the op - this is a system to dive a certain environment very well and efficiently. *everything* in the system is pointing to and preparing for those 'big' dives. they work other places, sure, perhaps with a bit of awkwardness that is easily offset by everyone being on the same page. for instance, gue prefers can lights on the left hand to make scootering easier. if you don't have a scooter, you look at that & it seems awkward. there are lots of things like that you can pick at to make that point.

*but* - these minor annoyances are worth it for the efficiency on big long deep cave dives.

there are other tech teachings that are valid. there are lots of ow classes valid for ow. most ow styles are not transferrable to tech diving, so pick a tech instructor you like & go for it if that's your plan. and any tech diver who picks on an ow diver for being unsafe in an ow, non-tech environment is likely a putz even while they aren't in a drysuit & long hose (though the 'get back on the boat with 500psi' thing is unsafe to me! :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom