American tourists kidnapped in Egypt on way to Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't disagree that many people would not feel comfortable traveling here - and especially for a family who are on a tight budget, the risk of having a holiday cancelled for some reason in a country that is not stable is something that is perfectly understandable. If the situation was reversed, and I had no prior knowledge of Egypt, then yes, I might also look at diving in one of the many other wonderful places in the world.

I have no desire to "shame" people into visiting because they have no prior knowledge of the country, my problem is with some of the attitudes presented here which amount to: "Egypt is now a haven for terrorists, if you go there you are stupid, the country is dangerous and unsafe, and this is a FACT". This is what I object to, not that prospective holiday makers (especially first-timers) are choosing to go elsewhere. This has been the situation since January last year, and I understand this perfectly, and it is not my intention to somehow demand that people come here because I live here and know better.

But - if people are interested in visiting, really want to come here at this time but have some concerns, then I'm happy to give the best advice I can to the best of my knowledge, even if that means people ultimately decide it's not for them right now. I will get work anyway, and I'm not here to sell something to people if they really don't want it - I just want people to know that impressions generated by far-away foreign media do not represent the whole story.

Cheers,

C.

I just want people to know that impressions generated by far-away foreign media do not represent the whole story.

Cheers,

C.

Sensationalism sells news and of course that is what the media survive on.

So during any terrorist attack in the UK or the US would I have cancelled a dive trip to Tobermory in Scotland or BHB in Florida? No, oh but wait a minute Florida is dangerous for tourists isn't it, many are mugged and killed according to the media.

Quite frankly I wish I had the opportunity to visit Sharm right now without the crowds, and if I could get on a direct flight from UAE I would be over there for a long weekend.

Having just arrived back to the UK from a 12 day stay in Sharm, we saw absolutely no sign of any trouble, in fact the locals were going out of their way to be friendly. As Crowley says, Sharm is quieter than I have seen before, but Naama bay was still buzzing with crowds in the evenings, so much so, that the Camel bar was packed as always with divers and I had to hunt around for a seat.

Yes... the current situation with polical instability is very concerning, but only from a standpoint that I hope for the Egyptians, they get a government that they are happy with and that they are able to live in peace with each other.. (Soccer Hooligans not withstanding of course)

Yes.. In my opinion, what happened with the shooting, Kidnapping and Soccer Viloence gave me a little concern when I heard what had happened.

No.. I was never worried for the safety of myself or my family, not for a single moment while I was there.

No.. I didn't see a single person running around with a headscarf on, brandishing a gun or any other dangerous weapon.. (unless you class a shisha pipe as lethal of course). As stated earlier, just be mindfull of the fact that Egypt isn't the only place that has violence, shootings or bombings.. actually that sounds just like London over the last 10 years.

Will I travel again.. Yes.. Already making plans for later this year to return..

People will choose to believe what they want to believe and I sincerely hope for the sake of a flagging tourist industry the media stops killing the enthusiasm of people looking to visit Egypt. These guys that work in the Dive industry need as much support as possible right now, to make sure when the dust settles, there is still the wonderful dive destinations to visit, operated by safe and friendly dive operations.

MatD

There is a big difference between random crime and a religious jihad with specific religious targets. (Christians)

I see the Unites States dept of State has warnings against American citizens traveling in Egypt and even official restrictions requiring making prior contact with the US embassy there prior to travel.

I don't see any warnings or restrictions by Egypt with it's citizens against travel to the US.

In late September, 2001 I received just such a warning ... a letter from the State Dept. advising me not to travel to Indonesia, which I was planning to do in early October. I ignored the letter and went anyway. A day after I got there, the US invaded Afghanistan. And although there were some protests, it wasn't anything different than I've seen right here in US cities at various times in my life. Much tamer, in fact, than many of our urban riots and civil disturbances over the years. I didn't have any problems at all. In fact, during my stay in eastern Java, anthrax letters in America made the news over there. And like most such news, it was sensationalized all out of proportion. Almost everyone I met was greatly concerned about it ... they advised me that coming home to America was dangerous, and that I should stay in Indonesia ... where it was safe. Go figure.

Yesterday I returned from the Maldives to find that both Cheng and I had email from friends all over the world ... China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Egypt, Germany, Canada, and various parts of the USA ... concerned that we made it home "safe". There was some political unrest while we were there. In fact, we were in the capital city of Male the day after the president of that nation was forced from office. The place looked peaceful enough ... we spent four hours walking around the city, even being passed at one point by the incoming president's motorcade. Nobody bothered us, even though we must have stood out as western tourists.

I'm with Crowley on this one ... people need to broaden their perspectives a bit beyond the major news outlets and tabloids. Get your "news" from them and it's about 10% believable ... on a good day. They're not in the business of presenting facts ... they're in the business of selling stories. And a good story doesn't have to be true ... it just has to be entertaining.

Take it as such. Fear sells ... and it's a win-win for both the government and the terrorists. Plan your life around those fears and they will control you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

just recently returned to the uk after spending 2 weeks in dahab. i've lost count the number of times i've been since 1998. i had no problems whatsoever other than walking home from the pub in which case the bedouins at my camp carried to my room. i am in fear more of going into my local town on a saturday night than walking anywhere in the sinai. in fact, i would love to be kidnapped by bedouins, there hospitality is legendary. live in fear, buy a bigger gun, buy a bigger padlock and be afraid, alternatively ignore the scaremongary you are fed by western media, open your eyes and enjoy your life. you have nothing to worry about in egypt more so than wherever you are now. i cant wait to go back :)

I spent some time last evening with my friend Elham ... who grew up in Egypt and just returned from a six-month stay there last week. According to her, the Sinai is quite safe ... she was in Dahab just a couple weeks ago. It's downtown Cairo you'd probably want to avoid right now. She said the police and military are actually allowing certain criminal elements and fundamentalist radicals free control over parts of the city because it gives them a reason to remain in power.

But I suppose that could be said of a lot of cities ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have to disagree on such statement.

Perhaps it depends on your neighborhood ... your background ... your political belief system ... or simply your point of view. She grew up in Cairo, and just returned to the US after having been there spending time with her parents for the past six months. I can't say, personally ... but I've known this woman for more than 10 years, and she isn't given to flights of fantasy.

She wants me to come dive in the Red Sea ... but advised me to not spend time in Cairo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I live and work in cairo, I was born in Egypt and living here for the past 35 years :)
I live in a relatively medium area next to the airport but I have friends and people living all over cairo and in different cities in Egypt.

I do not deny there have been an increase in thugs and criminal elements as she called them and this I see normal in the current circumstances where the country is trying to recover from a revolution and trying to change a complete regime with all the conspiracy this will face from people who used to benefit from the old regime and from others who just make use of a weak link.

What I do not agree with is the implication that certain areas are not safe due to a hidden agreement or lets say creating a situation to stay in power as this is totally not true. It has nothing to do with my political view or background or point of view ... in fact such saying is a speculation of someone and represents her point of view but for me I live inside this and I am just stating facts

Cairo is as safe as any other place on earth, in fact it used to be safer than any other place but now it just became similar.... May be it is wise not to go to urban areas or places with less people around but I guess this is common sense to be done anywhere even for locals.

my 2 cents :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom