American tourists kidnapped in Egypt on way to Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Two security officials say gunmen have kidnapped two Americans and their Egyptian tour guide after stopping a minivan carrying the group near St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai.

Here is the link:
Gunmen Kidnap 2 Americans and an Egyptian in Sinai - ABC News

GMA reported they were on their way to Sharm. Wonder if they were divers>>>>>>>>

Damn that sucks for sure, sending prayers for their quick recovery . Be nice to see another recovery by the military .

Cheers
Michael

The BBC picked this story up in the UK about half an hour ago:
BBC News - Two US tourists 'kidnapped in Egypt's Sinai peninsula'

We can only hope that the kidnappers see sense and release them unharmed. Otherwise, whatever the outcome (and I hope for the sake of those taken and their families that it is a positive one) this will be yet another in a looong line of blows to the South Sinai tourist industry.

I've been seriously thinking about a trip to Dahab this spring and a possible trip to St Cat's (deco procedures and no-fly times permitting). Now I might think again.

:shakehead:

Colleen and I had been planning on finally getting to visit Egypt, and dive the Red Sea this year. Reading the news from that part off the world in Dec I decided that this might be a very poor time to be an American in that part of the world.

We were chastised at that time that Egyptians all knew that tourism is too important to the economy of the entire nation, and no one would let anything like this happen. My gut instincts told that fanaticism and logic do not co-exist well.

I am very glad I reconsidered and cancelled (postponed?).

Our hopes and prayers go out for all three people, including the local tour guide.

We are going to be in Southern Europe this summer for work...talked about going to the Red Sea to dive. Not now. Our thoughts and prayers with those taken and their families...

Sadly, at this time just being an American in some parts of the world, even just a simple citizen tourist, who is minding your own business, while bringing a good source of income to a struggling local economy, you can easily have a target painted on your back.
Even Doctors who have dedicated their lives and their money to helping the destitute in these economically disadvantaged places are no longer safe.

All you need to do is frequent AJE - Al Jazeera English and read the stories on Egypt.
Anyone traveling to Egypt must be very brave or totally ignorant to what is going on in that country.

All foreigners are in danger, no they don't love tourism more than the local imam....i regularly enjoy traveling to dangerous places that are worth it, and egypt is joining afghanistan as a no travel zone in my opinion.

Its clear that the safety for tourists in Egypt is getting worse, not just for americans but for everyone.
Last week a french tourist was killed and a german tourist injured during a robbery in Old Sharm:

French tourist killed in shooting in Sharm el-Sheikh | Egypt Independent

I love Egypt, the people and the diving there, but maybe its time to go somewhere else..............

Mortenscuba

Two American tourists kidnapped in South Sinai | Egypt Independent

"The police chief of South Sinai has confirmed that two American tourists were kidnapped by masked men close to Wadi Sa'al in Sinai.

Police General Mohamed Naguib, the director of the South Sinai Security Directorate, was quoted by MENA as saying that armed men attacked a small bus holding five tourists of different nationalities on their way to Sharm el-Sheikh from St. Katherine's Cathedral near Mount Sinai.

The armed men, according to Naguib, forced the driver of the small bus to change his route to the mountains. They later captured the bus, and stole money and mobile phones from the tourists, and kidnapepd the two American tourists in the group.

The masked men also seized an automatic rifle belonging to the security guard who was protecting the tourists.

Naguib has formed a committee to search for the kidnapped tourists and contacted the Bedouin leaders in the area to participate in the search.

Last week, Bedouin in Sinai kidnapped 25 Chinese workers, demanding that authorities free their fellow tribesmen from prison. They were later released.
The isolated desert region has descended further into lawlessness since a popular uprising ousted President Hosni Mubarak a year ago. Recently, there have been many incidents in which residents have attacked police stations and blocked access to towns, villages and industrial sites to show their discontent."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom