American Bristol 18CFM Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure the starter for the gasoline engine is 120v? Normally they're 12 volts.

A motorcycle battery is usually enough to start small engines. If you have a good car battery laying around, that'll work, too.

I'd probably opt for a Hobbs pressure switch on the outlet and cut it out at a little over the pressure rating on the cascade system.

You're not going to try to fill one tank at a time with this thing, are you?

you can replace the 15hp 3phase with a 7.5hp single phase motor if you change the pulley size to run the compressor at 750 rpm instead of 1200rpm. You will reduce the air delivery to about 7cfm but normal 220vt house current can run a 7.5 hp motor with a 50amp breaker --about the same as a large air conditioner.
frogman62

Ok Will this work? Can anyone tell me

Use a 15.5 hp Gas Engine with Electric Start,
Remove the old motor and magnetic starter.
Remove the Transformer and put a new 120Vac breaker to power the electric
Add a governer for the gas engine to start/stop

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something.
This can be done for about 400 inparts

Called 3 electricicans all didn't want to deal with 3 phase
300 dollars minimum to put a new breaker in for 220 volt single phase.

Any thoughts?

You need about 20-25 hp gas engine to replace a 15 hp electric motor.

You will need a new motor mount, probably custom made

You will probably need new sheaves for the gas engine. The American Bristols have a unique pulley arraignment for the fan. Custom made sheave set?

Probably need new belts, 3 for the pump, and one more for the fan.

Pipe in some form of control for the motor, pressure actuated kill switch.

Buy a battery and charger to start the gas engine.

All for $400? I don't think so. $4000? maybe, but probably more.

Tobin

Those numbers are depressing . I know a machinest for the motor mount and I saw the shieves and belts at princess auto not sure if they fit but we will see. The governor (kill switch) I thought was around 80 dollars. and I saw some used 15.5 for about 150. The engine had a built in starter.

The compressor unit has a pressure switch already. I guess I can't use that one? Thanks for the ideas guys. I will tinker with it and see which is the most cost effective. I am building a stand with casters so this can move a bit.

Once I am done maybe I will post some pics..

Those numbers are depressing . I know a machinest for the motor mount and I saw the shieves and belts at princess auto not sure if they fit but we will see. The governor (kill switch) I thought was around 80 dollars. and I saw some used 15.5 for about 150. The engine had a built in starter.

The compressor unit has a pressure switch already. I guess I can't use that one? Thanks for the ideas guys. I will tinker with it and see which is the most cost effective. I am building a stand with casters so this can move a bit.

Once I am done maybe I will post some pics..

Kancho,

Ebay that beast and buy something you can run from somebody like frogman62.

You won't get the sheaves and belts you need at the autoparts.

I own a machine shop and I would find the conversion you contemplate to be a big job.

I probably have 1/2 the required parts in my huge pile of "spares" and I'd still expect to spend $2000+ to do the job.

If you want a costly education on motors and controls and power transmission, and are willing to give up diving for ~6 months go for it.

If you want to do your own fills buy another compressor that you can plug in and turn on.

Tobin

Ok Will this work? Can anyone tell me

Use a 15.5 hp Gas Engine with Electric Start,
Remove the old motor and magnetic starter.
Remove the Transformer and put a new 120Vac breaker to power the electric
Add a governer for the gas engine to start/stop

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something.
This can be done for about 400 inparts

Called 3 electricicans all didn't want to deal with 3 phase
300 dollars minimum to put a new breaker in for 220 volt single phase.

Any thoughts?

call the electric company, see how much "juice" you can pull of the current 220 line you have. If you got 200 amp service you are pretty much all set.
A new 200amp panel is under $200 at Home Depot; breakers included. Takes about 1hour to swap in place of your old electric panel (make a diagram of current wiring, don't mess up current setup). another 2-3 hours to run your dedicated wire for the compressor (make sure it's on separate breakers).
After that it's all a matter of reducing the rpm and either swapping the motor for a LARGE single phase or it running off a homemade phase converter.
I just went through this with a smaller unit (4cfm) that was 3 phase but direct drive (1120rpm); however, I was fortunate enough to get a RONK phase converter for cheap locally so I did not have to build one.
If you can get your hand on a RONK do it - they allow you to run the motor without ANY derating, plus, the support from the company is simply amazing.
Another concern will be the fill speed - do you have a bank or a multitude of fill whips - frying eggs on a tank while filling it is at least not advisable.
In another order of ideas, best of my knowledge the Bristols have quite poor parts support, so, as others said, if you can trade that and get a better supported unit (bauer preferably or see if shelden sporting goods still has the howden units) I would say go for it - who needs a 15 cfm for personal use?

I was an American Bristol dealer for 25 years and I have repaired and serviced these units in 6 large fire departments for over 15years and I could convert it probably 15 hours of labor and $2000 using mostly used parts and a new motor and you would have a huge compressor that at anytime could cost thousands to repair. If you take some pictures and don't have much money in the unit, I might buy some components from you and sell you a good 4 or 6 CFM compressor for $3000to $3600 -- less the trade value of components I could use from your old compressor.
Frogman62,
Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com
316-992-0505

I will tinker with it. if I find it is costing too much I will send some pictures to you Jim, I will think of it as my learning experience.

Thanks guys for all your advice.

We have been running our 17cfm Worthington, with a 15hp GE primary drive motor, on a Ronk solid state phase converter for four years in Costa Rica. The compressor sees 2-3 hours of run time per day during the high season (30 to 40 80cfm fills). The setup has worked flawlessly, with a third world power grid to boot. We bought the converter new from Ronk after some SERIOUS research in to phase converters. Running three phase was out of the question price wise at $7k from the CR government monopoly power company. The converter cost $1300. new and the customer service was fantastic. Give them the application and motor information and they'll tell you what you need, juice wise, going in to the system. We did already have 200 amp service in the building already and only needed to run a dedicated supply line off of a 75 amp breaker. Best of all, if we relocate we take the converter with us, try doing that with three phase service.

We have been running our 17cfm Worthington, with a 15hp GE primary drive motor, on a Ronk solid state phase converter for four years in Costa Rica. The compressor sees 2-3 hours of run time per day during the high season (30 to 40 80cfm fills). The setup has worked flawlessly, with a third world power grid to boot. We bought the converter new from Ronk after some SERIOUS research in to phase converters. Running three phase was out of the question price wise at $7k from the CR government monopoly power company. The converter cost $1300. new and the customer service was fantastic. Give them the application and motor information and they'll tell you what you need, juice wise, going in to the system. We did already have 200 amp service in the building already and only needed to run a dedicated supply line off of a 75 amp breaker. Best of all, if we relocate we take the converter with us, try doing that with three phase service.

Phase converters can do the job, if you have sufficient single phase service. That's why I suggested the OP investigate his current service.

If he does have a 200 amp service,

and

If he does have or can add a dedicated 75 amp circuit near his compressor

and

He is able / qualified to install the phase converter

he **might** get his pump running for ~$2000

If he needs a new service, and a new dedicated 75 amp circuit, and professional help installing the phase converter the costs will exceed a nice used 3-5 cfm pump that's a better match for his needs anyway.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom