American Air Refuses Oxygen to Dying Woman, Then 3 Equipment Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would oxygen have helped? Especially since they had to divert to Miami?

I mean, theres obviously something wrong with the airline's procedures if they have malfunctioning O2 kit on board the craft however. However, I would like the word of a medical authority that it would have affected the outcome.
See above posts...

American Air has their side of the story: Dispute Over Woman's Death on Flight - AOL News

Edit: Now I did open this thread with "News reports are not known for their validity..." but I wonder how long it would have taken AA to issue this statement if the other side had not made the news...?

In defense to American Airlines the oxygen on board is for the Flight Attendants in the event of a rapid decompression of the aircraft not to administer to passengers. However, those tanks should be full and all medical equipment should be in working order. I don't think a lawsuit will get very far as the airline will just settle.

... unless you want to pay out the $ for regular first class-....

very few if any of the folks in first paid to be there, I should know I'm usually there :D Unless you consider paying in blood, sweat, and tears to build the status of course:wink:

you are certainly right about service, its come a long way from "welcome aboard mr. walker, I've put a bottle of champagne on ice for you just the way you like it" (as late as the mid 90's) to "sit down, shut up, eat your peanuts" (current). And I'm platinum/1st! its not a particularly recent trend though, when did the piano bar on the top deck of the 747's disappear? 70's I think.

however, lack of working 1st aid oxygen systems is an FAA violation and if true grounds for fines and litigation....not that we're short of litigation.

(3) For first-aid treatment of occupants who for physiological reasons might require undiluted oxygen following descent from cabin pressure altitudes above flight level 250, a supply of oxygen in accordance with the requirements of §25.1443(d) must be provided for two percent of the occupants for the entire flight after cabin depressurization at cabin pressure altitudes above 8,000 feet, but in no case to less than one person. An appropriate number of acceptable dispensing units, but in no case less than two, must be provided, with a means for the cabin attendants to use this supply.

In defense to American Airlines the oxygen on board is for the Flight Attendants in the event of a rapid decompression of the aircraft not to administer to passengers. However, those tanks should be full and all medical equipment should be in working order. I don't think a lawsuit will get very far as the airline will just settle.
I've never heard that before? Would you have a viewable source...?

It's very unlikely that the story actually took place as was first reported, and was more of the media "jumping the gun" to get a sensationalistic story that makes the airlines look bad.

The flight attendants likely did not give her oxygen at first because were unaware of the severity and type of condition the woman was experiencing. It's also very doubtful that the O2 tanks were empty as the A300 will typically carry 12 of them and they're checked during the pre-flight.

Secondly, the defibrillators won't work if there isn't any heartbeat at all since it can cause further harm. The cousin or whomever she was with probably didn't know this and just assumed that they didn't work.

Bottom line, until more is actually known about what happened there's no reason to completely tarnish the reputation of American Airlines.

Well, I just heard ABC's report on this issue on the 5:00 news here in LA. They say the equipment was working. The passenger's traveling companion (and, reportedly, the assisting physicians) say it wasn't. Hmmm... who would I put money on in this situation?

Well, I just heard ABC's report on this issue on the 5:00 news here in LA. They say the equipment was working. The passenger's traveling companion (and, reportedly, the assisting physicians) say it wasn't. Hmmm... who would I put money on in this situation?

I found this point odd in the the American Air press release and then again here. For the sake of this conversation wouldn't we need to get a consensual definition of 'working' from both parties involved? The American Air people seem to have the idea that the equipment was working and their personnel performed as they were trained. A valve that works to release O2 is technically working. The fact that the O2 bottles were at empty (or near empty) has little to do with the fact that the valve worked. The O2 bottles are clearly a safety issue which has been overlooked by the airline. I guess not working for an airline, I'd like to know the following; What is the frequency of the O2 bottles (airline mandated) inspection? What is the law on the minimum safety checks on the O2 & the defibrillator?

Also, the AA press release said their attendants performed as to how they were trained. They are not trained to administer O2 and would not know the medical signs necessitating O2. The fact is at first they denied the woman O2. The reason was not clearly known why she was denied the O2. In all reality outside of their training, nothing precludes a flight attendant from giving a little attitude back to a passenger who can be perceived as a nuisance in asking for something and causing a disturbance. These two things will probably cause you to be disliked on a plane. What are the other passenger statements/affidavits? What exactly is the airline's policy on how to administer O2 and under what circumstances?

There are lots of unanswered questions.

Relative Complains After Death on Flight

By RICHARD PYLE

Interesting coincidence.

What will probably come out of this and other incidents is Congress making laws about who is allowed to fly. In the future, to prevent lawsuits, airlines will probably require a doctor's visit the week before the flight, if not the day before, to garuntee that you have a clean bill of health and won't giver other passengers rare diseases or be likely to die. If you have any problems such as a history of heart issues, you simply won't be allowed to fly for fear that you might die on the flight and be able to sue.

There is NO chance that this will happen. :shakehead:

I would imagine there will be (if anything) more of an assumed waiver that you would "approve" upon purchasing an airline ticket that would absolve the airline of any responsibility for a passenger's health and well-being. It's practically on there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom