Am I Just Crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gimewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Am I just crazy or do other people prefer to dive at home over travel? I just got back from Manzanillo Mexico where I had 40+ vis and when we dropped to 45ft were in 84 degree water. While I was down looking around in a pair of board shorts and rash guard I realized that while this was indeed impressive, it didn't hold a penny to the normal 10ft vis in 60 degree water in the Kelp that I got at home off of Palos Verdes. I love diving the cool waters of southern california and started missing the Redondo Canyon and all the kelp beds around PV. If I had my choice to dive anywhere I would stay at home and be more then happy to dive among the sea forest instead of the warm waters of mexico or Hawaii.

Na your not crazy! There is no diving like SoCal diving in the kelp beds :D

I love diving here in SoCal but still, diving in Hawaii is very special indeed!

I agree with you.. I love So-Cal diving. From the kelp to the wrecks to the canyons and everything inbetween.

Of course I don't mind getting away now and then.

No you're not crazy....
Ahh what the heck,yes you are.:D
I love my low viz 1-2" (" yep that's it) diving,I'll just be diving on 2 sq.feet.:rofl3:

Unless you're going through rocks in the warm water how else are you going to get immersed into an environment like the kelp, looking up and seeing the sunlight come through it's hard to beat. During a dive in Grand Cayman I was thinking, I miss the sea lions... this place would be so cool if they had sea lions. We're pretty lucky.

I only travel so I can appreciate the stuff more so when I come back :).

I lived in Southern Cali and yes that was nice diving. (San Diego area) Traveled around the world and dove when and where I could. I now live back in Jersey where I started and it is my absolute favorite. Cold dark and green!
See you topside! John

My family and I have been fortunate to have dove the world over: Caribbean, Europe, Hawaiian Islands, South Pacific, Asia, Africa, Red sea, Mexico mainland, Baja; Pacific and Sea of Cortez as well as a smattering of inland lakes and quarries.

Nothing! Absolutely Nothing-- compares to Diving in Southern California.

If I was allowed to dive as much as I liked but only one place the choice would be Southern California-- where recreational diving began

sdm

No, you're quite sane. However, when you reach a lofty age like mine, warm water and relatively little gear sure starts to look good! Sacrilege!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom