Am i approaching this right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I finish the an/dp and helitrox my ccr class in ccr helitrox. Same depth and helium oxygen as OC just on the breather instead
The MOD1 comes in many depths depending on circumstances. 30m/100ft and 40m/130ft air diluent and 45m/150ft helitrox.

There’s a big difference in skills required between those levels. Often people will get the shallower certification if their demonstrated skills aren’t sufficiently up to scratch. The helitrox level requires the diver to be able to hold decompression stops which is difficult when you’re starting out with CCR.

In reality, diving beyond 40m/130ft require decompression which needs two bailout cylinders and sorted buoyancy skills. That is earned through experience, a novice CCR diver will struggle.

TBH you’re better off with going for the air diluent, going away and practicing through extensive diving, then going back for an upgrade. Or just work hard at practicing and getting the 75 or more hours in and doing MOD2 at 60m/200ft or the deeper variant at 70m/230ft.

No. Have you completed your confined water training or is this ongoing?
It is a life long project with firmware updates. Hardware isn't waterproof unfortunately.

What size tanks is that in weird imperial system?
with rebreathers the small onboard bottles are almost always called out as 2L/3L. You don't normally see them called out in cubic ft.

HP Steel-15/23cf
LP Steel-13/20
AL-13/19

The O2ptima sometimes uses 4L bottles and I think some of the SCR's do as well as the KISS Spirit

I’m on the same journey researching rebreathers and plotting my jump into them.

I have no technical diving certification (with over 300 dives primarily in the Great Lakes).

I have talked to multiple CCR instructors in the US and abroad that said they are able to bundle Air Dil and Air Dil Deco courses through IANTD to certify non-tek certified divers in deco procedures through one certification process just adding a few additional days to certification.

I know this option is not available for all Manufacturers. For example I messaged @kensurf because I was interested in the Fathom unit and the manufacturer requires AN/DP as a prerequisite for MOD1 training which I can respect.

It appears there are two trains of though. Those who approve of others who see CCR in future and respectful want to jump into them sooner than later and those who believe it’s a tool to graduate into after you’ve put your time in on OC.

There are lots of people who have successfully and enjoyably made the jump both ways 🤷‍♂️

It appears there are two trains of though. Those who approve of others who see CCR in future and respectful want to jump into them sooner than later and those who believe it’s a tool to graduate into after you’ve put your time in on OC.

There are lots of people who have successfully and enjoyably made the jump both ways 🤷‍♂️

Getting into OC tech to graduate to CCR won't harm you, but with current He prices and the equipment requirements for OC tech, going to CCR is a logical choice. No one forces you to go MOD 1, then MOD 2, then MOD 3 all in a short period. You can be on MOD 1 and enjoy deeper dives to build your skills. Then jump to MOD 2 and MOD 3 sequence when you feel ready.

I have no technical diving certification (with over 300 dives primarily in the Great Lakes).

I have talked to multiple CCR instructors in the US and abroad that said they are able to bundle Air Dil and Air Dil Deco courses through IANTD to certify non-tek certified divers in deco procedures through one certification process just adding a few additional days to certification.

I know this option is not available for all Manufacturers. For example I messaged @kensurf because I was interested in the Fathom unit and the manufacturer requires AN/DP as a prerequisite for MOD1 training which I can respect.

Not sure it's practically possible to do the helitrox CCR course (45m/150ft, helium diluent) if you've no experience with diving using advanced nitrox and decompression procedures (AN/DP) on open circuit.

Would think it would be hugely overloading to get to grips with basic CCR skills, then take them to the next level and to the higher standards. Silly comparison: doing the OW and AOW together with no experience.

When you move to CCR, you *really* need solid MOD1 skills which will become the basis for all your CCR diving. The helitrox and deeper diving can -- and should -- wait for your core CCR skills to improve and solidify. Remember it's hours in the water on CCR that count along with the number of ascents you do and the time holding a stop at 6m/20ft ('cos that's hard and that's the most common deco stop).

If I went back in time to tell myself some tips, it would be to get *really* comfortable doing 30m/100ft dives and get in as many ascents as possible. Once they're better, then slowly progress to deeper diving. There's no short cuts to competence. Oh, and the "it tried to kill me" moment doesn't happen at 50 hours, it happens as soon as you think you're sorted; around 125 hours in my case. I definitely do not take CCR for granted as the thing will happily try to kill me again.

IANTD will do Helitrox aka Adv Recreational Trimix or whatever they call it - to 150ft - for CCR students with no tech experience or training.

IANTD will do Helitrox aka Adv Recreational Trimix or whatever they call it - to 150ft - for CCR students with no tech experience or training.
Is this for students with some knowledge of CCR or both no knowledge of both CCR and Helitrox?

Also, is this helitrox for shallower NDL diving, e.g. 35m/115ft, or for light deco?

The deco part means you need good buoyancy skills so you can hold your stops. This takes a while to master with CCR

I agree with @kensuf and the Fathom requirements to have AN/DP prior to going to CCR. I have no issue with all helium based courses being done on CCR, especially with cost and availability of helium where it is today. That said, Mod-1 is not the time to be learning bottle handling and gas-switching techniques and learning that you don't want to be in the water for more than an hour at any point in time. AN/DP is not cost prohibitive to do on open circuit since it is done without helium and I would strongly encourage anyone thinking about bypassing AN/DP on open circuit to re-evaluate.

Helitrox is a nothing course. There is no new information in terms of gas density, gas planning, decompression planning, or actual diving skills/techniques that you shouldn't already have from AN/DP *a third variable in gas calculations is not "new" in my opinion*, but you really shouldn't be learning all of that while you are trying to learn how to dive a rebreather. For those that already have AN/DP I have no objection to doing Mod-1 on Helitrox since it makes those 4-5ata dives much safer.

Is this for students with some knowledge of CCR or both no knowledge of both CCR and Helitrox?

Also, is this helitrox for shallower NDL diving, e.g. 35m/115ft, or for light deco?

It’s for students with NO tech experience/training. Down to 150ft. It’s deco diving. I know someone who recently did this exact class. Among those who teach this is Dr Doug Ebersole.

Just to clarify they will teach this as FIRST CCR class.

I wouldn’t want this myself. Glad I’m doing air dil aka Mod 1 before doing CCR Helitrox deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom