Am i approaching this right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have realized that CCR is in my future. Right now I'm doing OC AP/DP and helitrox. I have just enough GI bill to do a ccr cert so I'm thinking of finding a place that has CCR's for the students without requiring me to purchase the unit.

I have found one so far that teaches the JJ.

My plan is to then get OC experience doing deco dives gas exchanges etc while saving for my own ccr. During this time also looking for try ccr's to figure out which is actually right for me.

In my interviews so far I have had the spirit recommend but that instructor did not have units for students.

So basic question am I approaching this right or am I chasing a unicorn trying to find one's to try and then doing a crossover?

Doing it a little wrong. Unlike regular diving where you learn a technique and any brand of gear that fits the need will work, the rebreather training is brand (model) specific.

Not that there is anything wrong with a JJ or most any other brand, but if that is not the rebreather you end up with the cert you get won't work. You will be looking for training again on the rebreather you do finally get. You will get some basic knowledge that will carry over but I doubt you will even get a crossover class from many instructors without having real time on the rebreather you were first certified on.

Doing it a little wrong. Unlike regular diving where you learn a technique and any brand of gear that fits the need will work, the rebreather training is brand (model) specific.

Not that there is anything wrong with a JJ or most any other brand, but if that is not the rebreather you end up with the cert you get won't work. You will be looking for training again on the rebreather you do finally get. You will get some basic knowledge that will carry over but I doubt you will even get a crossover class from many instructors without having real time on the rebreather you were first certified on.
ohhhh yeah. gonna second this. I've researched rebreather training and every unit works different. not like crossover from PADI to SDI for example. so one rebreather cert does *not* fit all.
it'll be a waste of money to do it your way, unless you want to have multiple rebreathers of different brands/models

What experience lead you to believe that CCR is your future?

Concentrate on one course of action before contemplating the next.
If you’re not going to actually answer the question, but rather grill the OP, just go away lol.
I just got OW certified last week and am already thinking about going tech next year if my skills are good enough. Whatcha think about that?

Im going to maybe answer some questions above, but kinda fill you in on my experience which I think is worth a thought or two..

I started AN/DP about 3 or 4 years ago, I honestly dont recall. during the time of me finishing that, I received at a great deal a Hollis Prism 2. I kept it in my locker for about 2 years, because i thought i wasnt doing the kind of dives that would benefit from the CCR. Then I started trimix diving and probably in a couple years had about 20-25 trimix dives under my belt. Nothing substantial but i kinda still at this point didnt see the point of the CCR as pushing beyond the run times i was doing, wasnt really necessary and running a shop helium wasnt a big dollar item i had to worry about.

I finally addressed the P2 in the corner, and having finished that just a month ago I thought to my self WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME TO DO THIS EARLIER? I mean like much earlier(people did I just didnt listen!). And what Im getting at here is, even crossing AN/DP/Helitrox on OC will get you no really super valuable experience nor will it even get you a pass on those courses when it comes to CCR. Any effort in taking any class is so much more efficiently spent gearing it towards the actual CCR end by building hours so that the things you need to be muscle memory are there. Dives can be of recreational profiles and its still worth all the experience on CCR vs getting a light deco dive on OC @ AN/DP level.

CCR's dont have to cost 10,000 dollars. Meg's are solid older units and can be had for a couple grand on up. P2's go for similar amounts.

Now talking about your current budget certainly makes a difference if youre a year from saving a couple grand for a well loved piece, but want to go through the technical steps then that is ultimately the order you will have to do it in.

If it were me though, I would not take a course on a rebreather you didnt intend to spend a lot of time on in the future. I would buy a rebreather at a great price and sit on it for a bit if needed to save up for the instruction or get the paperwork in order for GI bill stuff.

Im going to maybe answer some questions above, but kinda fill you in on my experience which I think is worth a thought or two..

I started AN/DP about 3 or 4 years ago, I honestly dont recall. during the time of me finishing that, I received at a great deal a Hollis Prism 2. I kept it in my locker for about 2 years, because i thought i wasnt doing the kind of dives that would benefit from the CCR. Then I started trimix diving and probably in a couple years had about 20-25 trimix dives under my belt. Nothing substantial but i kinda still at this point didnt see the point of the CCR as pushing beyond the run times i was doing, wasnt really necessary and running a shop helium wasnt a big dollar item i had to worry about.

I finally addressed the P2 in the corner, and having finished that just a month ago I thought to my self WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME TO DO THIS EARLIER? I mean like much earlier(people did I just didnt listen!). And what Im getting at here is, even crossing AN/DP/Helitrox on OC will get you no really super valuable experience nor will it even get you a pass on those courses when it comes to CCR. Any effort in taking any class is so much more efficiently spent gearing it towards the actual CCR end by building hours so that the things you need to be muscle memory are there. Dives can be of recreational profiles and its still worth all the experience on CCR vs getting a light deco dive on OC @ AN/DP level.

CCR's dont have to cost 10,000 dollars. Meg's are solid older units and can be had for a couple grand on up. P2's go for similar amounts.

Now talking about your current budget certainly makes a difference if youre a year from saving a couple grand for a well loved piece, but want to go through the technical steps then that is ultimately the order you will have to do it in.

If it were me though, I would not take a course on a rebreather you didnt intend to spend a lot of time on in the future. I would buy a rebreather at a great price and sit on it for a bit if needed to save up for the instruction or get the paperwork in order for GI bill stuff.

Valid points. Researching the right one is proving a lot of fun right now, I've managed to firmly eliminate one and likely eliminate one. That's about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom