Aluminum toxicity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, do we have to start calculating aluminum partial pressures in the gasses that we breathe?

Seriously. Assuming that you could breathe some of the Aluminum in your tank assumes that some of the Al of the tank vaporizes. I don't think so. Not in a million literal years. Only if you were diving in He11 where the temps would be considerably greater. In which case breathing Aluminum would be the least of your worries.

Now on the other hand.... If your tank were made of mercury... But then it would be mighty hard to get a tank strap to snug up around it.

Davidstealey3:
first i cant really comment on the eating and licking of Al., but i have allways heard it is not good to eat it. second i can say that you do pose more risk to breathing alluminum oxide if you breath your tank down to empty continuosally, letting water enter the tank. the oxide will build up on the tank walls and turn to a white powder over time that you could inhale while using your tank. but thank god we have to get them vised every year. but that can be elimanated if you leave the 500psi in your tank when done your diving and when the tank is stored. last if you diddnt know or never looked into it the lead weights must cause a potential risk because commerical divers must clean the weights, and all the other equipment for that matter, if they are going to do work in community water towers. then they have to be wraped in saran wrap or something else while they are doing the work.

The real quesion is do they pee in their wet suits??????????:no

bradxb:
Hi!

I am doing some reading before I buy my first tank, after renting for a couple of years. I understand the pros/cons of aluminum versus steel. But I have not read anything about aluminum toxicity.

Ingestion of aluminum has been linked, in some studies, with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. There is no conclusive evidence at this point.

Do you know of any diver-related research on this?

Thanks!

BradXB

If you’re worried about Aluminum I would suggest a few things.
Stop drinking Beer and Soda from Aluminum Cans
Stop Cooking in Aluminum Cookware
Stop Using Antiperspirants

These are probably the three biggest sources of Aluminum exposure we have.

LavaSurfer:
If you’re worried about Aluminum I would suggest a few things.
Stop drinking Beer and Soda from Aluminum Cans
Stop Cooking in Aluminum Cookware
Stop Using Antiperspirants

These are probably the three biggest sources of Aluminum exposure we have.
There are hundreds of others... Alum is a aluminum salt, and is a common food additive. Other similar aluminum salts are used as anti caking agents in most powders.

We know a lot more about the brain issues that were once thought to be caused by Aluminum... and Aluminum had nothing to with protein folding.

If there would be an issue, it would be in particles... as almost any dust like material can be bad for you. I doubt that is much of a concern.

Colliam7:
The good news: generally, the concern about the neurodegenrative effects of aluminum have 'surfaced' in patients with renal dysfucntion, orally ingesting large quantities of AL-containing antacids (AL OH, for example). In those settings there is both an unusually large input function (regular - multiple doses each day - oral ingestion), and a reduced output function (renal disease). For AL toxicity to occur in association with diving you would have to have a particularly oxidized tank interior (developing over years), and LOTS of diving, every day.

...and damaged kidneys so that you couldn't get rid of it. and maybe a bunch of ball bearings bouncing around in your tank scraping the Al-oxide off the side and slowly producing Al dust over time...

But if I can’t cover my self in aluminum how can I protect myself from the aliens? (My aluminum snorkel keeps them from hearing me.)

:alien_2: :snorkels: :alien_2:

It's a real shame that someone posting here with a honest question is laughed at like nearly every post in this thread has done. It may seem like a goofy question to some, but I see no reason for it not to be addressed in a serious manner. Especially when it's a post by a somewhat new member of the board. Having an early post dealt with like this would make me a little uncomfortable asking further questions, which is what this site is supposed to be all about.

We ran out of serious in the first 20 posts.

Back
Top Bottom