Aluminum toxicity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it comes to the aluminium in the caribbean im more worried about the way its handled and transported. Anything youve learned about securing tanks for transport is void there it seems.. Lets just have the full tanks standing in front of the truck, not fastened of course.. Lets put the empty ones lying down in the back, also not strapped down, so that they can build up momentum before they smack into the full ones if we have to brake.. Now that could be alu poisoning for you I guess..

lamont:
there's never been any conclusive evidence since it was first proposed in 1965. the strongest factually based medical statements are usually that aluminum might make alzheimers worse. there are quite a lot of hysterical websites on the net asserting a connection between aluminum and alzheimers which is based on a selective reading of the medical evidence.

and antacids, water and cooking pans are way more of a concern than aluminum scuba tanks in any case...
My grandma was heavily involved in civil defense from WWII thru the 1960's and about 25 years ago when helping her go through some stuff I noted some literature on the evils of aluminum cookware dating from the early 1940's. I suspected (and still do) that the motive had much more to do with getting people to dontate their aluminum cookware for recycling as part of the war effort for aircraft production than with any concern for public health.

If you donate your aluminum cookware, then you'll probably try cooking with the plastic tupperware stuff. I have a feeling it'd be safer to eat the aluminum than to inhale the fumes of burning tupperware.

But, it might be like lead poisoning: if you get a large piece of aluminum in you, maybe you shouldn't leave it stuck in you? So if you are riding in a truck in the caribbean and there is an accident and you are impaled on an aluminum 80, make sure that it's pulled out quickly. Oh, and hope they don't use lead based paint. Are there any Chinese scuba tank manufacturers?

I'm always amazed at how concerned people are in general about the air they breathe while diving, when at the same time we all don't think twice about commuting on congested highways EVERY SINGLE DAY OF OUR ENTIRE LIFE. Ever thought about the amount of REAL toxic compounds we breathe all the time? (As opposed to imagined ones?). This is not in response to the original question, but just an observation that came to my mind.

As to the original question: Simple: The aluminum does not enter or cross-react with the air that goes into the tank. It may have an oxidative effect over time, but even then no aluminum transfers from the tank material into the air. It's safe.

:)

:popcorn:

N

pteranodon:
I'm always amazed at how concerned people are in general about the air they breathe while diving, when at the same time we all don't think twice about commuting on congested highways EVERY SINGLE DAY OF OUR ENTIRE LIFE. Ever thought about the amount of REAL toxic compounds we breathe all the time? (As opposed to imagined ones?). This is not in response to the original question, but just an observation that came to my mind.

As to the original question: Simple: The aluminum does not enter or cross-react with the air that goes into the tank. It may have an oxidative effect over time, but even then no aluminum transfers from the tank material into the air. It's safe.

:)

OK I cked and at least you work for a health sciences university,I was wondering how you qualified to make a statement like that. Has anyone actually analyzed the air coming out of an aluminum cylinder?? You know scientifically?? Then of course all those small o2 cylinders we see people using are aluminum also.

bradxb:
Ingestion of aluminum has been linked, in some studies, with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. There is no conclusive evidence at this point.
The good news: generally, the concern about the neurodegenrative effects of aluminum have 'surfaced' in patients with renal dysfucntion, orally ingesting large quantities of AL-containing antacids (AL OH, for example). In those settings there is both an unusually large input function (regular - multiple doses each day - oral ingestion), and a reduced output function (renal disease). For AL toxicity to occur in association with diving you would have to have a particularly oxidized tank interior (developing over years), and LOTS of diving, every day.

Hmm, never heard of it but I think I have had symptoms. Usually only effects me on shore dives. And it is not neurological - it is physical. As I walk I feel all sorts of stress on my shoulders and back. My walking becomes deliberative. My balance is slightly off. These go away once I enter the water but like clockwork they return once I exit the shore and up to the point I take the darn aluminum things off. On the other hand I do lick my lead weights clean each dive.

Do not eat aluminum scuba tanks.
No snacking on aluminum foil either.

first i cant really comment on the eating and licking of Al., but i have allways heard it is not good to eat it. second i can say that you do pose more risk to breathing alluminum oxide if you breath your tank down to empty continuosally, letting water enter the tank. the oxide will build up on the tank walls and turn to a white powder over time that you could inhale while using your tank. but thank god we have to get them vised every year. but that can be elimanated if you leave the 500psi in your tank when done your diving and when the tank is stored. last if you diddnt know or never looked into it the lead weights must cause a potential risk because commerical divers must clean the weights, and all the other equipment for that matter, if they are going to do work in community water towers. then they have to be wraped in saran wrap or something else while they are doing the work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom