Aluminum or fiberglass boat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a aluminum 19 foot boat built by workskiff . It is not to pretty but is a rugged little dive boat . I drove 3000 miles to purchase it and think it was a wise choice . I have washed it with soap and water 10 times in the past 15 years .The bottom is 1/4 inch thick so no need to wait for a spot on the dock . Any kind of modifications are a piece of cake . This type of boat is not for everybody , sure is sweet diving.

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

N

Nimrod , the company has stop making 19 footers . I was not aware of this and the cost of the bigger boats are beyond my budget . I bought only the hull for 9000 dollars . Boats and Harbors is a commercial marine newspaper that advertise aluminum boats .The gulf coast use heavy duty aluminum boats . New and used boats can be found in that area .

Charles,
second the aluminum design...I built a cabin, looking at doing another "WEEKENDER" when I get back next year
steve

Havine been on a few in the summer, I know you can also make a bacon, egg, and cheese right on the deck for lunch.

Those cecks and sides can get real hot.

Havine been on a few in the summer, I know you can also make a bacon, egg, and cheese right on the deck for lunch.

Those decks and sides can get real hot.

My cousin had a Lone Star aluminum 19 footer. It was like riding in a skillet, it would scramble your brains and then fry them. It leaked from every seam and rivet. Then it sunk, we were all happy because then uncle got a fiberglass boat.

Without a picher of the Workskiff, I must improvise one and the one my mind has invented looks like a Lone Star 19 foot aluminum skiff.:idk:

Thanks for the heads up and endorsement, keep my eye out for them. Seriously, it sounds nice, like you have a great boat, hope it does you good. :)
N

This boat is not a beer can , 1/4 inch plate bottom , 3/16 inch sides , all welded , self bailing , coast guard certified 9 persons. Aluminum transfer heat so deck and sides will be the same as the water , beer cans may be different .

Back
Top Bottom