Aluminum 80 or steel 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i used my 10 steels mainly for photography and teaching my classes.

So if you want to stay longer use a steel,,but remember your buddy may have only a 80, so stick with him on coming up,,unless it is a girl then you will match up as she will use less air.

one thing good in having 100 cu steel in teaching is you have a few more pounds for someone who might need it,,and in running a dive boat there always seems to be someone running out .

THE WETTER THE BETTER !:usa:

So that you're comparing apples to apples, try pitting an AL80 against an HP80. You'll find that the latter is 6" shorter, 3 lbs lighter, 6 lbs more negative and holds 3 cf more air. In other words, you'll be carrying 9 lbs less, your tank will be about 25% smaller and you'll still have more air.

For an AL80 vs. HP100 you'll be carrying 2 lbs less weight, your tank will be 2" shorter and you'll have 23 cf more air with the HP100.

The only real advantage aluminum has is price and potential as a stage/decompression bottle. Since full aluminum tanks are only about 2 pounds negative, you can sling them easier without throwing off your trim. That's why most people favor aluminum ponies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom