Alternatives to Dive Rite LX 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshower

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, I need a primary light and would like to spend less than the $600 needed for Dive Rite's light; can do if truly best option but not sure that's the case. I'm not going caving, don't see a need for canister at this point. So, go with something like Ano's HL 2200 as a lower cost primary or use a good backup as my primary? Maybe get something like Ano's R105T or DGX 600/800 (just examples, open to others)?

the LX20 is nothing but a backup light with a 4 hour burn time.

I don't like twisty's so despite @Dsix36 's comment above, I'm going to have to disagree with Don.
Hog Morph 1000 Handheld Back Up Led Light ***Spot Light***
Get a pair of those, and get the goodman sock with one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDQTIN...TF8&colid=20R1B8EYPPCRL&coliid=I1C7VYKO0ONXEN
Get a pair of these to have a high quality power source that isn't likely to explode

https://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-D4-...&qid=1486249664&sr=8-8&keywords=18650+charger
get one of these to charge them

Total cost should be less than $250, but you have two very high end lights that give you a rough burn time estimate with the color LED buttons, four high end panasonic batteries, and a really nice charger that gives you some more information and allows you to charge them all at once, either at home, or from the car

Don't forget about us Tom. :)

Hey @sunshower,

- I have a couple of the DGX600s. You're welcome to borrow one or both any time. I can hook you up with a light or two, batteries and a charger for you to try out before you buy. And a soft Goodman handle/glove, too, if you want.

- The Xtar D26 has totally replaced my DGX600s as my favorite light. I have 2 of them as well and you are welcome to borrow one of them, too, any time. The D26 goes for about $63 on eBay (no battery or charger). So, it's a little more expensive than a DGX600, but I think it's totally worth it for the extra burn time and features. They're basically the same on brightness (i.e. very bright). I don't suffer any compared to the can lights Bill and Fred use.

- The Deep 6 backup light for $100 appears to be identical to the light Mako Spearguns sells here for $50:

680 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

Absolutely nothing against Deep 6 at all, but I have dealt with Mako for several purchases (though I do not have any lights from him) and Dano has always been great to deal with.

I may go out to Millbrook this weekend, if you happen to be thinking of going out there, I can bring the lights I have, if you want to check them out.

- The Deep 6 backup light for $100 appears to be identical to the light Mako Spearguns sells here for $50:

It's not the same, although yeah it looks similar. It is also advertised for use with 2 x CR123 batteries and is for purchasing the light only, no other accessories... Adding a charger and set of rechargeable batteries to that is going to add about $25, and if using CR123s the burn time would be shorter than using an 18650. If you were to get that one, you would be better off using a rechargeable 18650 instead for the extra capacity.

Ours already comes with a charger, rechargeable 18650 lithium battery, and a case. Which would account for some of the price difference.

Also, ours is closer to 860 lumen, so about 180 more lumen, they must be using a different emitter, could just be a typo, or something else. Either way the noticeable difference between 680 and 860 probably isn't that noticeable though.

Last edited:
the LX20 is nothing but a backup light with a 4 hour burn time.

I don't like twisty's so despite @Dsix36 's comment above, I'm going to have to disagree with Don.
Hog Morph 1000 Handheld Back Up Led Light ***Spot Light***
Get a pair of those, and get the goodman sock with one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDQTIN...TF8&colid=20R1B8EYPPCRL&coliid=I1C7VYKO0ONXEN
Get a pair of these to have a high quality power source that isn't likely to explode

https://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-D4-...&qid=1486249664&sr=8-8&keywords=18650+charger
get one of these to charge them

Total cost should be less than $250, but you have two very high end lights that give you a rough burn time estimate with the color LED buttons, four high end panasonic batteries, and a really nice charger that gives you some more information and allows you to charge them all at once, either at home, or from the car

I have been looking for a primary light as well for rec diving. I noticed you suggested to buy batteries and a charger elsewhere. Do you not recommend the Hog batteries and charger that they offer?

haven't seen one yet :p and frankly forgot you had a backup light out. my bad

I guess you'll see them at the CDS Winter Conference. Their backup lights look really good.

Currently Out of stock.. Landon?

I have been looking for another backup option that uses 18650 and push-button switch. The D6 backup looks nice..

I currently have a couple Dive Rite BX-1 that are great, but want a button for some times where one-handed use is needed.

I also tried the Hollis 3W and mini3, that both have push buttons, but can't use 18650 batteries, *and I find the buttons like to stick. :(

RE: the LX20.. I have recently purchased one and have 6 dives on it. I respectfully disagree with Tbone's comment that its just a "back-up with 4hr burn".. It's much brighter than the RX2 Primary can light that I was using and is plenty bright for my primary needs. And its rated for 4hr burn on high, but will run 6hrs on Med and works fine on that as well. I also think this light is so compact that it could easily serve as a back-up primary for dives when you might not want to turn dive with one failure.

For the OP: Dive Rite has a new hand-held primary coming out soon (delrin body).. I suspect you will find better pricing on an LX20 soon.

Back
Top Bottom