Alternative to Nitek Duo, Tusa Element II? Nitek Trio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, so Leisure Pro dropped the ball and I'm stuck holding the bag.

They had the Tusa Hunter IQ700 aka Nitek Duo aka Zeagle N2ition on their site so I ordered it. Apparently they don't have it anymore and offered me either the IQ750 Tusa Element II for the same price (224$) or the Tusa Zen Wrist computer for $249.99.

The Zen is out because it's not easy to use via gloves, and I'm leaning away from the Element II. And thinking about just biting the bullet the bullet and getting the Nitek Trio.

Is the Element II any good? Or should I say screw it. All I'm looking for is really a bottom timer but I don't feel like dishing out the money for the Uwatec Depth Gauge as it's pretty much a rip off.

I've done some searching and I haven't found much in terms of reviews for the Nitek Trio, is it as good as the Duo?

Thanks guys.

The Element II is a good computer but it is very conservitive, but it still works well. I really like the Oceanic brand and would go with the VEO 1.0 or 2.0. They are very similar in price but you have to oportunity to be more libral. Both are good. Let me know what you choose.

Okay, after debating with myself for a bit, I decided to stick with Nitek.

I became less willing to work with LP after finding a thread about them bait and switching for the Nitek Duo. It's been out of production since 2008 anyway and it'd be a miracle if they really still had stock of that computer so they are doing this intentionally.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...usa-element-ii-iq-750-anyone.html#post5386822

I found two other sites that offer great deals on the Nitek Trio
Dive Rite Computer - Nitek Trio CO8175 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
NiTek Trio Dive Computer by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

If they aren't willing to price match on those sale prices ($390) on the Zeagle N2ition 3 they sell, then I requested them to do a full refund.

Hey guys, so Leisure Pro dropped the ball and I'm stuck holding the bag.

They had the Tusa Hunter IQ700 aka Nitek Duo aka Zeagle N2ition on their site so I ordered it. Apparently they don't have it anymore and offered me either the IQ750 Tusa Element II for the same price (224$) or the Tusa Zen Wrist computer for $249.99.

LP has been out of stock on the IQ-700 for many months, probably because it's discontinued. Don't know why they continue to show it as "in stock". Bit of a bait and switch IMHO.

I wanted an IQ-700 too, so also looking around for alternatives.

You might consider the Hollis DG02 Nitrox Computer Bottom Timer from LP for almost the same price.

I have a SubGear XP 10 (the rebranding of cheaper Uwatec Aladin)
If you can find a ScubaPro reseller. The SubGear XP10 is at 250$ MSRP. Find one that has fair prices and you'll get it.

Curious whatever happened here? Did you get your computer? You can still purchase IST version of the computer gp3000 for about $270. Did you go with the Nitek trio (I've been considering this computer lately)?

Leisure Pro STILL lists the IQ-700 on Amazon. A bit shady if you ask me.

Since there seems to be a few fans of the Nitek Duo in this thread, I'm going to ask my question here.

Would you still prefer a Nitek Duo over a Suunto Zoop, and why? I'd like to hear what you do/don't like about either.

>> I'd like to hear what you do/don't like about either.

My favorite feature of the Duo/Trio is, believe it or not, the battery compartment. It's very easy to change batteries, all you need is a large coin (or better yet a fender washer). You can order the O-rings online (McMaster.com or others. size is 1.5x30mm) and the batteries are available at any drug store. (or digikey.com) The design crushes the O-ring, instead of just wiping it, so you get a lot of deformation and 4 positive seals from just the one O-ring.

Other computers I've owned have flooded the battery compartment after the 3rd or 4th battery, but the DUOs are bullet proof that way.

The Duo also let's you use two different mixes, like AIR and EAN32, or even EAN50 or pure O2 for the second mix. This will carry you far enough into your technical diver training that you can decide if you like it before shelling out the big bucks for new gear.

The Trio let's you use 3 mixes,instead of 2, so you can dive AIR(or a TriMix blend that deco's like air), 50% and pure O2. That seems better and will take you a little further down the Tech Diving road, but the Trio is still kind of scared of tech diving. It will deliberately forget ALL your mixes, 5 *MINUTES* after your dive, so if you don't reprogram it between dives, you have to abort.

I still use/recommend a Nitek Duo (aka IST GP-3000, Zeagle N2Ition, etc. etc) for recreational diving, but I don't really like the Trio for Rec or Tech diving. (For serious tech, get a Liquivision, but that's a whole other price point)

Both computers will start imagining ascent rate violations when the battery gets low (especially in cold water) so carry spare batteries & O-rings. (you can reuse the O-ring in an emergency, but it's good practice to swap it)

The Trio, made originally be Seiko (as are other private-labelled versions of it) is no longer in production. Seiko apparently stopped making dive computers according to Dive Rite. I loved my Nitek Duo, but now I've had two Trios (one to replace the first which started giving erroneous readings while still under warranty) and neither has been 100% reliable. I got min temp readings of 82 F when my Uwatec said 72 F (which coincided with the computers of others). Both of my computers are mounted on the same wrist, yet I've had dive times differing by up to 7 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't trust a Trio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom