Alternative to gloves for keeping hands warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am diving in the Roatan marine park, where gloves are not permitted. But my hands do get cold. Are there any alternatives or suggestions for helping keep my hands warm?

Thank you!
Honduras tend to be quite warm so probably you don't need gloves anyway. Roatan is close to 29 degrees C, that's Red Sea territory... If they are prohibited there must be a reason, try to comply with local regulations.

You can also try to have some high fatty food with a high caloric index in order to be a little warmer.
Normally woman have colder extremities and more circulation issues, unless it is so uncomfortable you get numb and cannot operate your gear, I wouldn't worry much :wink:

I am diving in the Roatan marine park, where gloves are not permitted. But my hands do get cold. Are there any alternatives or suggestions for helping keep my hands warm?

Thank you!

If you can show them that you have "medical" issue, they will give you an exception. I'd correspond with the resort first before arriving there.

Gloves in pocket?

I have been diving there before so even though it's hot, I know that I can still get cold.

I have added warm stuff on my feet and a vest that helped a lot. I've been resisting the head coverings because my head is crazy picky and I can't tolerate anything constraining - I basically have to wear hats that are 1-2 sizes too big for my measurements. I think that wouldn't work for diving, but maybe it would be better than nothing? Maybe someone has an idea for a head covering that might work?

I don't want to do anything that might get the dive op in trouble or even just escalate stress, but I'll look into the fingerless thing and also whether there might be some kind of medical exception I'm eligible for. I also like the idea of converting a beer cozy to a muff or some kind of extended cuff. I don't think that would be in contravention of either the letter or the spirit of the rule, but I will look into it more.

Thank you so much all!

I have been diving there before so even though it's hot, I know that I can still get cold.

I have added warm stuff on my feet and a vest that helped a lot. I've been resisting the head coverings because my head is crazy picky and I can't tolerate anything constraining - I basically have to wear hats that are 1-2 sizes too big for my measurements. I think that wouldn't work for diving, but maybe it would be better than nothing? Maybe someone has an idea for a head covering that might work?
The neoprene beanies are a lot less annoying and constricting than a hood.

Get some pogies. They are used by white water kayakers when paddling rivers in the winter. Wearing neoprene gloves when paddling reduces ones ability to feel the paddle shaft and contributes to hand fatigue. Pogies are a mitten that attaches to the paddle that one just inserts their hand into...it doesn't keep the water out per se but the hands stay warm nonetheless. Perhaps instead of a paddle shaft, you can velcro them around the shoulder straps of your BC or BP/W harness depending on which you use, then just stick your mits in and dive with your hands grasping your shoulder straps inside:

1655362253577.png

-Z

Well, having Raynaud syndrome, diving without gloves is almost impossible for me, even in warm waters. Only time I was asked to dive glove less, I explained my problem to the DM and got a green light. You should try doing the same, as already suggested.

Back
Top Bottom