Alternative to gloves for keeping hands warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salamandra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am diving in the Roatan marine park, where gloves are not permitted. But my hands do get cold. Are there any alternatives or suggestions for helping keep my hands warm?

Thank you!

Mittens?

Somebody must make 1 or 2mm flesh colored gloves that look exactly like real hands? Put-em on after in the water and take-em off before you get out!

NW Dive Dawg, I love the idea of stealth flesh colored gloves!

Marie13 - thinking about muffs makes me wonder!!

What about... flaps on the sleeves of wetsuits! Half the time I'm diving with my arms crossed over and hands resting on opposite elbows/forearms - there totally could be pockets there to tuck one's hands into! I guess it wouldn't be as warm as gloves but it would be a lot better than nothing.

Or even for interlacing fingers in front of me, I guess there could be some kind of muff. Probably it should be attached to one hand and then I add the other hand in. It could be something like a narrow gaiter that can tuck down as a cuff onto one hand, and then untuck and fit both hands and have some kind of light elastic.

I don't think I'm handy enough to create these things myself, but I will ponder upon it!

NW Dive Dawg, I love the idea of stealth flesh colored gloves!

Marie13 - thinking about muffs makes me wonder!!

What about... flaps on the sleeves of wetsuits! Half the time I'm diving with my arms crossed over and hands resting on opposite elbows/forearms - there totally could be pockets there to tuck one's hands into! I guess it wouldn't be as warm as gloves but it would be a lot better than nothing.

Or even for interlacing fingers in front of me, I guess there could be some kind of muff. Probably it should be attached to one hand and then I add the other hand in. It could be something like a narrow gaiter that can tuck down as a cuff onto one hand, and then untuck and fit both hands and have some kind of light elastic.

I don't think I'm handy enough to create these things myself, but I will ponder upon it!
You might ask a custom wetsuit maker such as JMJ (who is a presence on the board) what they can think of.

Just a thought.

Do they allow fingerless gloves? If so, you could cut the fingers off an old pair, or cut the bottom off a beer coozy and make a thumb hole/slit on the side. If not, what about stuffing some of those reusable hand warmers in the sleeves of your wetsuit?

Depending on your skintone, these might not be too noticeable from a distance:

Back
Top Bottom