Alternative to DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall, DAN's insurance isn't just dive accident insurance--it covers other types of accidents.

DAN is the easy button. I recall at least one person on SB (a Canadian?) claiming his regular medical insurance would cover hyperbaric treatment due to a dive accident, even in another country, but I doubt that's common. You could probably cobble together medical and accident insurance to cover what DAN covers as accident insurance, but why bother?

OTOH, DiveAssure is primary insurance where as DAN is secondary. Why DiveAssure – DiveAssure
That doesn't matter to me, since I have primary insurance...which barely covers anything related to a dive accident anyway. DAN picks up the loose ends without argument.

I was looking into DAN and Dive Assure for a couple of trips I've got planned for Florida this fall and the Caribbean next spring. Seems curious that Dive Assure does not have coverage for diving in the United States. Apparently it is "temporarily unavailable". Although that would be fine for the Caribbean, they won't cover my diving in Florida. Looks like DAN is where I'm going to end up...

I am reaching out asking, does anyone use and other Diving insurance than DAN? And if so who and why?

Thanks
Being new to diving I scoured the internet looking at Insurance, for me DAN was the best

If I recall, DAN's insurance isn't just dive accident insurance--it covers other types of accidents.
DAN sells a number of different insurance plans. Some of their Dive Insurance plans have some coverage for non-diving accidents outside of your country I think it is, but not much and not all include any. Yes, I have kept my DAN dive insurance for 20 years, but I always take Trip insurance when I leave the country.
OTOH, DiveAssure is primary insurance where as DAN is secondary.
That's a gimmick that wouldn't really make much difference if it were true, but dig into their fine print if you can find it and you'll see that they have the right to split payments with other coverage you may have.

That's a gimmick that wouldn't really make much difference if it were true, but dig into their fine print if you can find it and you'll see that they have the right to split payments with other coverage you may have.
I did not dig into the their fine print but discussed it with person who switched to DiveAssure. FWIW, the logic behind decision: secondary insurance will require claim to be rejected by primary insurance (due to the lack of coverage) before paying it.

I did not dig into the their fine print but discussed it with person who switched to DiveAssure.
Which of course is actually meaningless. Here are their terms. and it's very important that anyone who takes their coverage understand them in detail: https://diveassure.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/DiveSafe-EU-DOC-English.pdf

The Subrogation Clause you can find under General Conditions...
2. You hereby agree to provide details of any known coverage in effect at the time of loss and that JRI has the right to review and potentially subrogate with any undeclared coverage whether known or unknown to You.​
3. If You or any person acting on Your behalf shall make any claim or statement knowing the same to be false or fraudulent as regards amount or otherwise, the Insurance shall become void and all claims here under shall be forfeited without refund of premium.​
Paragraph 2 means that they can share payments with any other coverage. You'd need a high-priced lawyer to explain it better.
Paragraph 3 makes it clear that you'd better inform them of any other coverage or else.
FWIW, the logic behind decision: secondary insurance will require claim to be rejected by primary insurance (due to the lack of coverage) before paying it.
Uh, nope. If you want to buy their Dive Insurance, that's fine. Just don't post fake claims.

Just remember, when you get on board a dive boat; they never ask for your DiveAssure Card. They ask for your DAN card.

I've never been asked yet.

Exactly. There really is no justification for shopping around. Just join DAN and buy the best dive accident insurance package they offer in your location. You really cannot go wrong. God forbid you have an accident, but if you do, it will pay off in spades.

DAN not offered in Taiwan.

Back
Top Bottom