Almost complete? Just starting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry,

You sound like you are doing really well, but should have initiated lost diver protocol, meaning looking for one minute while keeping the 4 divers together and then waiting at the surface for your instructor if not re-united? This could have been a teachable moment for the other 4 divers as well. Think worst case scenario. It did work out, but I wonder if your instructor advised you the same.

AZ

Bubble Junky:
I'm not a fan of splits at all. Use which ever you find best for face-down surface swims.

I also recommend an old style, large diameter, open snorkel for the face down surface swims. A lot of these "dry" snorkels don't exchange air as easily because the valves and flappers slow the airflow and create breathing resistance. The new dry snorkels are great for leisurely snorkeling around a reef or doing a surface swim back to the boat, but in an 800 yard snorkel-dash it can make a difference.

CrackedConch:
I also recommend an old style, large diameter, open snorkel for the face down surface swims.
For the tired diver push, I'd use the reg.

b1gcountry:
Final Exams:
Did all the tests Did really well. Missed 3 questions. Help me remember what they were...
9/9
Physics
Equipment
Physiology
Environment
Divemaster Conducted Programs
Supervising Dive Students
???? (I thought I remembered 9...)
There are eight exams on DM course:
Divemaster Conducted Programmes
Supervising Certified Divers
Assisting With Student Divers In Training
Physics
Physiology
Equipment
Skills & Environment
Deco. Theory & RDP

Arizona:
b1gcountry,

You sound like you are doing really well, but should have initiated lost diver protocol, meaning looking for one minute while keeping the 4 divers together and then waiting at the surface for your instructor if not re-united? This could have been a teachable moment for the other 4 divers as well. Think worst case scenario. It did work out, but I wonder if your instructor advised you the same.

AZ
I basically did. When we turned the two kept going, but I couldn't see them, so I figured they must be behind me still. We swam back towards the boat, which was very close and we surfaced when I realized they weren't behind us. When we went to surface, one of the divers in the group refused to come up, so I had two divers 'missing', and two divers refusing to end the dive. These are all experienced divers who are familiar with the conditions, and we were only in about 20' of water, so I wasn't too worried about anybody really being lost or anything...Anyway, when I finally got the other divers to come up, it was probably only a minute or two after we had turned. I asked the boat people if they saw any bubbles, I swam out to them and brought them back up. It basically made me realize you cannot really keep track of six divers in such low visibility. Especially if there is an instructor trying to get them lost.

I realize some are not that cooperative. Did anyone remind them of lost diver protocol in the pre-dive briefing?

Thanks for sharing,

AZ

No, I didn't remind them of the lost diver procedure in the pre-dive briefing. I also didn't remind them to do a buddy check, but I did make sure all their air was on. I know all the divers I went with, and they are all competent, so I had a hard time treating them like OW students.

Tom

Hmm, just noticed this new(ish) forum. :)

I guess I'm a little late to the party... almost done with DM training. Actually, done. All I need to do is find time to do my mapping project and I'll be sending in my application. :)

I am starting my OW intern tomorrow night. I am excited!!!

Yee haaa! SharkDZ and I finished our water work last night. All 20 skills passed with flying colors - both of us scored in the 80's.

We switch partners and did the gear exchange again last night. No problems this time. It went very smooth - except for the fact that my partner is a toothpick and I couldn't get the chest strap fastened - too small.

Now we swat for the finals this coming Wednesday...

I'd love to dive this weekend, but, the books may take a higher priority.

Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom