Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, have no fear -- with that hat on they would run away :)

The Curious Gator's Lulliby

Alligator, alligator, knock on wood.
Stay on the bank please you could.

While I dive, and play like a seal.
Please don't make me your afternoon meal.

Your coming towards me and I can't play.
So out of the water, and up, up away.

Maybe tommorrow pal, we'll have more fun,
Cause next time I come here...

I'm bringing my Gun!

-----

Mike.

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) -- Villagers found two human hands, a leg and a pair of shorts inside a half-ton crocodile they trapped and killed in eastern Indonesia, a conservationist said Wednesday.

At least five people have gone missing in recent months in the same area of East Nusa Tenggara province and are believed to have been eaten by a crocodile or crocodiles, said local conservationist Lorens Mbatu.

The 16-foot-long reptile captured Monday is suspected of having eaten a 59-year-old fisherman, who was last seen a week ago near a river in the province about 750 miles east of the capital, Jakarta.

Thousands of crocodiles inhabit this vast archipelago of 17,000 islands. Man-eaters are rare.

But residents have been warned that at least two more dangerous saltwater crocodiles -- suspected of devouring dozens of cattle, pigs, goats and poultry -- remain at large.

The villagers who found human body parts inside the captured crocodile's abdomen -- along with skull fragments and strands of hair -- cut the beast into pieces and shared the meat, Mbatu said.

''People here believe they must eat the flesh of a crocodile that has eaten a human so there will be no more victims,'' he said.

Alot of people in "rural" areas or less developed countries, unfortunately, fall victim to Crocs/Gators and very large constricting snakes. It seems safer to "divert" water from the river, in towards a basin next to the village ... but that's their custom, to bathe near the rivers edge - sometimes even while the crocs are in the water with them.

-----

Mike.

Midnight Star:
Alot of people in "rural" areas or less developed countries, unfortunately, fall victim to Crocs/Gators and very large constricting snakes.
While the danger from crocs is real and well know, I'd be interested in some documentation concerning the danger to humans of "very large constricting snakes."

Thalassamania:
I'd be interested in some documentation concerning the danger to humans of "very large constricting snakes."
Andy lives in Jacksonville... just avoid the area. :D

I'd be interested in some documentation concerning the danger to humans of "very large constricting snakes."
I remember seeing that mentioned on documentaries reguarding places where Anaconda's are prevalent. They seem to take small children, who happen to be in or near the waters edge. I've never heard of an unprovoked attack on an adult.

-----

Mike.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the "shove the tank in the mouth, shoot the tank, kill the great white" method work on a gator? Seems to me you go with a proven technique.

Jon

Jon C:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the "shove the tank in the mouth, shoot the tank, kill the great white" method work on a gator? Seems to me you go with a proven technique.

Jon
Okay, let's ship filled tanks to all over there. :D

Nah, that was disproved on some TV show, Myth Busters maybe? Also see I want to see a tank explode thread, wherever it is. The email of the half eaten man in a snake's mouth is a hoax, btw - see Snopes.com

I think a grenade to the throat would work well, but if the croc's mouth is already clinched on your body, maybe not be able to deliver. :eyebrow:

DandyDon,

Interesting thought you gave me...hand grenades in place of weights...hmmmm. While you would have to distinguish the "quick weight release" mechanism from the pin, I imagine the need to use one underwater would naturally be followed by a desire to go to the surface....Thus two purposes served at the same time. There may be some issues clearing your ears depending on the fuse delay....

Wow, this could bloom into a bizarre thread quickly.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom