Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currahee Vet:
Sveta: Dorogaya, u nas est ochen mnogo pricrasniye mesta v Floridi -- unless you've explored some of the crystal clear springs and rivers you'll never know what you've been missing. 72 degree water temp year round, a chance to see manatees up close, and as you can tell from earlier posts -- perhaps a chance to interact with a true living dinosaur.

Oh, U menja net nikakix russkogovorjashix druzej kotorye by eshe i nyrjali. Prijatno vstretit' entuziasta!
So, what about fresh water springs in FL. I go to Miami 3-4 times a year and from now and on i'm going to combine my DJ chasing with dive adventures. Any recommendations? But pls, no alligators. I'm a vegan and i don't want to be eaten by anybody/anything either.:no
But wow, this thread is great. I am familiar with sharks behaviour ( i'm known as a "sharkie" girl in New York Public library) but crocodiles and allegators actions are still new to me. Gotta pick up some literature.

I DO recall reading about a diver getting tagged by a saltwater crocodile, and in florida we do have some crocs but they are limited to the everglades area. We also have bears and panthers... better watch out.

-V[/QUOTE]

:no
They are not limited to the everglades. I was born and raised in Florida and I remember when a saltie was seen swimming along the beach in Dania Florida (near Ft. Lauderdale. He was even videoed and put on the news that night. Not common, but there nontheless.

The american crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) has a range from southern Florida down to Peru. It is on the CITES red list. Back in the 1970s, as a result of hunting and habitat destruction, there were less that 400 in left in south Florida, but today there are estimated to be about 1,000.

In Florida, I see more gators while golfing than diving. That includes a six footer this summer on the #7 fairway, Dubsdread Golf Course, which is in Orlando, itself. The water at these places is not something you would care to dive into.

NetDoc:
You, almost my entire life in Florida and I have yet to see a croc... unless of course you count Walter. :D

Next time you're in the area, we'll have to head over to Everglades Wonder Gardens. They have several crocodiles. Missed you at the dive show today.

Walter, I am bed ridden with a torn Achilles... the same one that has been bothering me over two years. I have canceled all classes this month as well. :(

Allison Finch:
:no
They are not limited to the everglades. I was born and raised in Florida and I remember when a saltie was seen swimming along the beach in Dania Florida (near Ft. Lauderdale. He was even videoed and put on the news that night. Not common, but there nontheless.
I'm not going to ask you what year that was, :wink: but I think the population has been reduced since then.

From University of Florida older release...
Distribution and Habitat
The American crocodile reaches the northern end of its range in extreme South Florida and can be found on the islands of Cuba, Jamaica, and Hispaniola. They also occur along both coasts of southern Mexico and Central America, south to Ecuador on the Pacific coast, and Venezuela on the Atlantic coast of South America. The number of crocodiles in Florida has never been large; researchers estimate a population of perhaps only 400 to 500 individuals.
Crocodiles are found in large, shallow lakes, marshes, ponds, swamps, rivers, and creeks. Although crocodiles occur in estuarine areas (where salt and fresh water mix), they prefer lower salinities except for nesting activities.
Or from Anglefire - citing 1992 references...
HABITAT AND DISTRIBUTION: In Florida crocodiles historically were found as far north on the Atlantic coast as Lake Worth. Today southern Biscayne Bay appears to be the northern limit, although individual crocodiles occasionally wander further north. On the west coast crocodiles once ranged up to Tampa Bay, but today are found only as far north as Sanibel Island. The recent breeding range of the American crocodile includes the mainland shoreline from southern Biscayne Bay (Turkey Point) west to Cape Sable, as well as North Key Largo and some islands in Florida Bay. On the west coast a breeding population of crocodiles has been identified in Collier County. Information is scarce on crocodile populations from the Ten Thousand Islands to Cape Sable.
There are other sites that suggest they might be making a recovery, perhaps re inhabiting some historical areas, but not a lot of info.

This later report from University of Florida suggests there numbers more like 1,000 and adds...
According to Mazzotti, the American crocodile is the least aggressive of all large crocodiles and is even shyer than the common Florida alligator.

“Obviously, you shouldn’t go and pet one, but if you live by the water and a crocodile enters your back yard, you’re more likely to drown than to have problems with the reptile,” he said.
and
“One of the biggest issues of restoration and the return of crocodiles is educating people about the animals,” she said. “As crocodiles return, there is more interaction with them, and people are afraid of them. But the American crocodile is a real sweetheart when compared to the alligator, whose presence is often taken for granted.”

I'm thinking I'll avoid them, still. :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom