All the boyz are doing it, now it's our turn!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We already wear diapers, we are really trying to get away from that.

I think the bottom line, so to speak, like TS&M said, is people are going to give this a try, and has been shown on the deco stop thread, have no qualms about posting their issues with it.

SO, How about you give us some good tips for limiting chance of folliculitis from shaving? I personally don't have a problem in that department, but the redness and bumps are the number once concern I think (possibly even trumping concern about leaking) that I have heard. If you've followed some of the other threads, you'll see people recommending anything from hand lotion to Visene.

FWIW, I understand a fair number of men actually shave quite liberally when they wear a condom cath. Nothing like getting a stray hair or two stuck under the wideband on removal.

From wearing the device, there is virtually no force on the skin. It tucks in place and basically stays there (as mentioned, at least one person can use it with just tape) The pressure from the drysuit (not even 'squeezed' but just water pressure also holds everything in place, there is no tugging from the hose etc...)

On the web site, I believe it states that they are hoping to have a silicone version later this year, which would address your concerns regarding latex sensitivity issues.

Again, I think women who have a need for this are going to give it a try... The purpose of this thread is to try to find way to make THIS mouse trap better, as opposed to leave us in the diaper age :wink:

Re: Highly absorbent tampon in hyperstretch neoprene pants? Huh? I'm going to assume that was a joke, and perhaps your definition of tampon is different than mine.

The problem with diapers isn't run-over (no need for waterproof shorts inside your drysuit), it's that the SUCK to wear and are single use. The current crop of adult incontinence is markedly improved over 10-15 years ago, but it's still a diaper between your legs, with plastic, elastic, and soggyness.

Somehow this is all reminding me of this line from that Ani Difranco song...

I wish they could see us now
in leather bras and rubber shorts
like some ridiculous team uniform
for some ridculous new sport
quick someone call the girl police
and file a report

Sorry, a relook of the device say that the force is not perpendicular to the skin, but still at about a 20 to 30 degree angle from the skin. Which will make it more likely to peel than a condom cath. That "blow off" post by the condom user previously might be more likely to occur here. One could do a controlled study to see how much pressure will it take to "blow off" a condom cath vs. this one, and I can bet that the condom cath will take alot more pressure to unzip.

I would also say, if you are going to have it commercially made, make sure that the company use high quality medical grade latex, to decrease the chance of sensitization. In the late 80's the market was flooded with cheap imported latex gloves that caused a huge number of health professionals to develop latex allergy.

Another option the inventor might look into is making high quality waterproof underwear that is custom fitted to a number of sizes, that can accomodate a high quality superabsorbant pad (ie. huggies overnigh diapers - easily accessible). You could market this to both the male and female drysuit diver market.

Heck, I can see how a hyperstretch thin neoprene short with a built in pocket for a highly absorbant tampon would serve this purpose very well for both man and woman. And you can make it sexy enough to wear to a diving party!

You go, Icegirl! Kudos for working on a better mousetrap.

from the sheer numbers of people out there who are Brazilian waxing, shaving, etc. you'd think that folliculitis should be reaching epedimic status by now if this was a huge issue.

personally I find hair remover lotion to be quite irritating and caustic even on my legs, in my case, it isn't going anywhere *nair* my pubic area.

and yes... hair removal has reached epidemic levels everywhere it seems but on diving lists :wink:

from the sheer numbers of people out there who are Brazilian waxing, shaving, etc. you'd think that folliculitis should be reaching epedimic status by now if this was a huge issue.

You just need the right combination of factors. Waxing and shaving of legs and arms are dry and non-occluded.

The pubic and labial area has a number of factors: 1. Sweatglands which gets occluded (look up the follicular occlusion triad) and prone to infection when hot. 2. Natural colony of bacteria (streptococcus B and even MRSA). 3. Moisture, that is without argument. 4. Trauma - both from shaving and maceration. 5. Friction - depending on how your drysuit fits, I guess.

I see folliculitis in divers and surfers just from friction of their shorties. Workers in hot environment gets it on their waist line. Pluckers and shavers get it on their bikini line. You just need the right environment and you'll see folliculitis.

Well... Luckily I guess I"m not prone to this issue... I have not heard complaints about this issue from the Dutch girls either... *shrug*

another dive weekend in the she-p with no leaks (or folliculitis!)

The only issue is Discreetly putting your hand down your pants to hook it up to your pee valve, and getting past the conditioning to not pee in your drawers :)

----

I'll ask this again, though. You give us a problem with no answer... For people who DO have this issue in day to day life OR with the She-P or from shaving/waxing, what is the treatment (see their doctor, get antibiotics, etc??) Is there a way to alleviate the suffering, preventative measures, etc... (I'm guessing no tight waist bands and looser drawers) :wink:

The only issue is Discreetly putting your hand down your pants to hook it up to your pee valve, and getting past the conditioning to not pee in your drawers :)

Similar issues here for guys, esp when gearing up on a public beach -- I feel so odd rummaging around in that area trying to "hook things up" w/out getting held up an an indecent exposure charge.

I think this device (and the pioneers that are forging the way) is an awesome thing for the female divers, as it really cannot be any fun especially on long boat rides in cold environments with "other methods"

A real advance in diving comfort it seems!

You just need the right combination of factors. Waxing and shaving of legs and arms are dry and non-occluded.

Um, I was referring to a Brazilian wax, not arms and legs. A Brazilian wax, depending on which esthetic salon you go to, leaves either no hair "down there" or only a little "landing strip" (presumably it's called a Brazilian so those Brazilians can wear their itsy-bitsy thongs on the beach).

I haven't heard much from the esthetics world about folliculitis and Brazilian waxing.....

Just checked PubMed, the only abstract I could find related to an outbreak of folliculitis after leg waxing in Australia in 1986...there's an article titled "Folliculitis secondary to waxing for depilation--a cause for concern." but no abstract so I don't know which part of the body was being waxed.

I agree with Icegirl, though: what solutions would you direct someone affected with this to take, see a physician?

Back
Top Bottom