All the boyz are doing it, now it's our turn!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...somethimes our reply ends up in the spambox :confused: so if you have not had a reply.. please check.

ciao,
Heleen

SO here's the latest... I'll just post this here in addition to my bloggy.

I now have 17 real dives on the She-P. 16 of which were done with the Medical Adhesive spray, 1 of which was done with the paste.

Spray, says I!

Unless it's your only option, and then in that case, I'd do like AnneMarie and just tape, I will not be using the adapt paste again anytime soon. Sorry Hollister, you can keep all the paste for your stoma's.

I can see you all perking your ears and wondering.. "why? Pray tell?!"

Come hither my fair brethren and let me tell you a story :wink:

For those just tuning in, lets start at the beginning... I've been using the spray, because I read the label and it said "use me" for this purpose. (okay, so in truth, it was jumping up and down on the shelf like the Donkey in shrek saying "pick me! pick me!") I collected my supplies ahead of time and waited for my device. I practiced gluing a plastic bag to my leg. The Medical Adhesive Spray worked about 100 times better than the Adapt Paste. So.. .I just kept using what was working, kind of afraid to try the paste with the reports I'd gotten back. I kept meaning to do so, if only so i could be a "good educator" and have the real answer when people asked, not just a party line :)

I've been using the She-P on all my recent dives. They are between :45 min and 2 hrs right now, nothing heinously long, but I really wanted to get a feel for "getting it right" in the recreational realm before doing super long dives. In about 3 dives, I figured it was working... no leaks, peeing when I needed, no diapers, limited tape use. So, I just kept diving it. "back off boys, no, I didn't buy my suit from some guy who forgot to keep his pee valve" "does it work? come a little closer and I'll pee on your shoe!" Still, no leaks, no diapers, and one piece of tape when I kinda didn't trust my OWN work getting a good seal in back. (like the first few times applying at the dive site in the dark and slightly cramped bathroom - well, compared to what I was used to)

Today... well... in all the fun and games of making the diagrams with the anatomically correct model, somehow my little rattle can didn't make it back into the pretty-in-pink-argyle "She-P bag". Hrm. debate debate debate... Go AnneMarie style, or use this as an opportunity to "try the paste". Eh, what the heck, I'll use the paste AND AnneMarie taping style :) First thing I noticed... Paste is harder to spread on the device. second thing.. Uh.. they were right when they said... "warm" (warm being a bit of an understatement) third thing... It was not staying put. So I proceeded with the tape job... And a hearty tape job at that!

Wow. this paste stuff is still ...warm (not uncomfortably so, but I sure did notice it) and it is not soft and conforming like the device, the spray, and my body is. Hrm.

The dive... Well, no leaks... But not the easiest peeing either. Note to self (well, and all you reading) you CAN put it too far back. If you put it too far back and tape it rather enthusiastically, you can create a little bit too much resistance, and the pee-ing goes SLOOOWLY. Nope, no bladder pain or anything like that, I was more 'going to go' as opposed to 'going cause I HAD to go'.

The post dive... Well... the paste was not really sticking to the device at all by the end of the dive. Unlike the adhesive spray, which decides at the last minute which side of the fence it wants to cast it's vote like a superdelegate, and you find out at the 'end tally' who got more... You are stuck with ALL the paste, or at least 90% of it. And how pray tell do you get rid of that paste? If you are stuck in traffic on the way home, it's a great distraction and passer of time... Just make sure you are in the 'fast' lane so you're not quite as obvious with your hand down your pants. "Gee, I'm sorry officer, no I'm not drunk despite my weaving... well.. you see... there's this wee'ing device..." IT basically peels off, much like that lizardy skin post sunburn. except its still not soft and flexible, unless it gets moist and then it's back to goo stage. Joy. At least it's stopped being "warm". I can tell you exactly how many miles it takes at 12-15mph to get rid of a dive's worth if you really want to know... Yeah, I didn't think so.

Cleanup of the device sucks by comparison. Tape, goo, lizard skin, etc...

Anyhow... That's my take on the paste. Learn from my trailblazing... or paste blazing, or blazing paste...

Oh... another thing I found... if you take a bit of tape and put it vertical on (not around) the 'connection' (device to hose) a) it eases the mind and b) it gives you a little handle to tug gently on to unseat the seal.

Note: I've also tried another adhesive that didn't even make it out of the gates. Vi-drape (a rosin and polymer based adhesive for surgical drapes and bandages) doesn't stick, and almost ruined a device. I would recommend letting us destroy them as opposed to you the consumer. I mean, unless you WANT to, but then don't come crying to Heleen to replace your ...stingray looking thingy.

(I'm still laughing about tossing the unused one at the boys who were all curious at the dive site today... I'm like "see... it looks like a little stingray!" all they could do was giggle... They liked the idea of a little bag to carry around accoutrements with though, I said "well, you go to the feminine hygiene aisle.... look for tampons.... hanging next to them will be little clamshell cases that will hold about 5 or 6 condom caths..."

OK, I admit to have been reading this thread, Partly because of my friend, but mostly because of the way you can put your experience into words, not the least of which is quite amusing :) .. and thank you for the excellent write up as well

Thanks for the detailed report and where-to photos.

Yes, Rickg, this is something that all female divers in drysuits can possibly benefit from.. .Not just tech divers and instructors... When it comes to peeing, no more squeezing into the tiny head on a boat with your drysuit dragging, no more trying to hold your wrist/neck seals up off the floor of the smelly port-a-potty... No more buckets.. no more hanging your ass off the side of the boat praying for no wakes... Comfort on those multi dive (even shore dive) days in the winter/rain months... Now we can drink all the water/juice/gatorade we want without having to worry about the repercussions...

Now we can be like the boys and just stay in our suits all day long.

Hey! and maybe our neck and wrist seals will even last a little longer... How many times have we torn a seal in between dives because you had to de-suit to use the head? I know I have :)

Yes, for those who are wondering, with the hard plastic urinary directors, in theory we could use a relief zipper, but... that was a major league hassle, as the zipper was never big enough to get a hand and device where it needed to go easily...

Yes, Rickg, this is something that all female divers in drysuits can possibly benefit from..

I'm sure Heleen has thought of appplications outside the diving community, such as the disabled community and nursing homes...I know I have!

Yes, for those who are wondering, with the hard plastic urinary directors, in theory we could use a relief zipper, but... that was a major league hassle, as the zipper was never big enough to get a hand and device where it needed to go easily...

It always looked so...odd...anyway:D
Plus things could/did leak.

icegirl,

It has been an interesting read, following your trials and tribulations with this. You have a real knack with words. Looks like you are on to something that will result in a major "relief" for not only you but a lot of other women also. And probably a lot of credit should go to you for taking up this banner and running with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom