Alki ~ Cove 2 ~ Seacrest ~ the Office

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few more samples of the Cove 2 Residents...

Striped Nudi:
Striped_Nudi.jpg

Leopard Dorid:
Leopard_Dorid_2.jpg

Those Irish eyes Pug likes so much :D
Irish_Eyes.jpg

Last but certainly not least... Hairy the crab
Hairy_Crab.jpg

OE2X:
Now you guys are really making me envious. Melvin I would have loved to have been able to meet and dive with you in one of my favorite backyard spots. Due to recent surgery and a four hour drive, it can't happen. I still long for the taste of salt water on my regulator.

Surgery, OUCH!! I hope all is well, when are you back in the water?

I've so got to dive for enjoyment rather than always scrubbing the boat bottom. The few times we have dove for pleasure my wildlife has been restricted to starfish, anenomes, and dungeness crab. Nothing terribly unique. No matter how slow and how careful I scan, I don't find many unique things. Granted our pleasure diving has been at Harper Dock and Point Hudson, but I know there is at least an octo at Point Hudson somehwhere.

How does one ]look for such fabulous flora and fauna? When you get in the water and you head to the bottom what kinds of formations are typically rich in life here in the Sound?

Last fall, I took a fabulous class in marine life identification, which enriched my diving tremendously. The instructor started the class by saying, "My main reason for teaching this class is to convince people that there is something down there to see besides octopus and wolf eels." We spent a lot of time studying little things -- sea squirts, starfish, nudibranchs, various molluscs, types of crabs . . . the sorts of things you see on almost ANY dive, if you go slow and look carefully. To this day, I enjoy looking at those things, although I'm not above getting excited about a big octopus or a gorgeous wolf eel like we saw on Sunday.

A lot of the pictures you see from UP, Bob and Snowbear are of small quiet things that take finding. Go slow, be patient, and look under and inside everything. You find warbonnets curled up in giant acorn barnacle shells, and gunnels in beer bottles. And, like today, when you screw up your navigation and are inspecting acres of bottom rubble, a ratfish comes and decides to be marvellously sociable.

TSandM:
...And, like today, when you screw up your navigation and are inspecting acres of bottom rubble, a ratfish comes and decides to be marvellously sociable.
And me with the ever-more-frequent camera failures not able to snap-shoot his picture :17:

Guess it's time to start looking for a new one. I was truly blessed that this one has kept working for so long after a salt water flooding, but.......

Hey, that came out okay, and I took it!

Great photos...I truly enjoy them. Wish I was diving today.
Kirsten

Those are some terrific photos. What kind of camera are you using? I recently wrote a dive site review of Seacrest Cove 2 w/ a gallery.

A nice dive to do is from Cove 2 to Cove 3. I just did it last Wednesday and was followed around by 4 or 5 seals the entire time. They're hard to get a clear shot of since they're so quick and agile in the water. I got some video of them though.

Back
Top Bottom