Trip Report Trip Report 6-1 to 6-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MICR0015.JPG MICR0029.JPG MICR0061.JPG MICR0100.JPG MICR0107.JPG MICR0029.JPG MICR0061.JPG
MICR0001.JPG
MICR0015.JPG
MICR0029.JPG
MICR0061.JPG
MICR0100.JPG
MICR0107.JPG
MICR0198.JPG
MICR0245.JPG
MICR0270.JPG
Some pics attached. MICR0001.JPG

Yes we paid twice that much for a condo on 7mb which was lovely but no shore diving on site.

Sounds like you had a great trip and you really squeezed in good weather compared to what was happening the week before and today hasn't looked that happy either. I love that you point out that you can have a great time here without breaking the bank. Early in May I flew back down from JFK for $129. It definitely can all work out. Next time you are at Calico's let me know. Its a hop, skip and a jump for us and once the day time crowd is back at the dock, it is a real local hangout.

We like to hit the beach at Calicos at least once a trip when staying up in West Bay as it gives us that beach visit and fun bar experience on the beach we don't get diving up in the ironshore. I also am a fan of the pan fried grouper with rice and beans and salad for I think 13 CI.

Duncan Heard manages many of the condo units at CBC. He also operates Stingray Watersports. Tanks were per tank and on the honor system. $12.50 air/$18.50 nitrox. Keep track during your stay and pay at check out. If you want something particular let him know and he will arrange it. I asked for nitrox 80s and he kept them amply supplied. BTW every fill was at least 3200 ps. My wife likes air 63s and again we asked and he kept them supplied. On site are the standard air 80s. Someone staying in a unit said he rented tanks from someone else at $10 per tank but they were not kept down at the dive set up area and I think he carried them back and forth. I thought what we paid was a relative bargain, especially when compared to what boat diving would have cost. I was doing a lot of diving with depths to at least 75'-80' each dive and average bottom time of 53 mins and was happy to pay extra for nitrox. The rest of my family that dove 1-2x a day dove air. I saw a nitrox 100 on site as well.
Can you dive at Coconut Bay/Hepps if you are not staying there? Otherwise, is it a long surface swim/reachable from Macabuca?

Can you dive at Coconut Bay/Hepps if you are not staying there? Otherwise, is it a long surface swim/reachable from Macabuca?

You can dive there, there is a public right away to the waterfront and the dive op will rent tanks to non-guests. We have shore dived there but finding a place to park is the hard part.

See this post from @ian.b -
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8263186/

Last edited:
From what I have heard and seen Coconut Bay/Hepps is available if not staying there. Parking may be an issue though. I saw some divers come in with their car and unload gear right at the set up area and then move their car before gearing up and diving. I thought they were not staying at CBC. If you wanted to rent tanks from Duncan, shoot him an email for info and confirmation.

It took me 17 minutes to dive over to turtle reef but that was from CBC ladder, swimming half way out to the mooring ball (away from turtles reef) at Hepps Pipeline (2 min) and then diving to the mooring ball (1-2 min.) banging a left and following the mini wall to the two mooring buoys at Turtle (15 min). You could shorten your trip from Turtle by taking a compass bearing to a point between the turtle reef two moorings and the white mooring ball over at hepps and heading to the mini wall. You could avoid a longer surface swim this way. If you were to dive like you would at Turtle reef and head right along the mini wall it would take you about 20 minutes of diving to get to the Hepps Pipeline mooring ball but it would be diving the whole way with no surface swim required. Do these descriptions make any sense without a map? I would guess the surface swim from Turtle's cut to the Hepps Pipeline mooring ball is 10 mins.

Bad try at a google earth map with path. Will try again

CBC to TR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom