Alcohol-Vinegar Earwash Expiration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use a few different kill solutions containing H2O2, and only remake them regularly if they contain strong acids/bases or metals. The figure I'm looking at in some product lit in front of me for commercial 30% H2O2 is ~1% loss per year when stored under refrigerated conditions. That's overruled for us by a 2 year shelf life policy for all liquid reagents in the lab. Acetic acid won't change that.

I haven't remade the ear goop I made last year, and just keep it in the fridge.

Edit: Oops, I see Ian beat me to the answer.

Probably not for too long.

Hydrogen peroxide is unstable and decomposes to water and oxygen. In cool temperatures,no light and no impurities that takes months/years. Heat it up,shine bright light on it, add some gunk and it breaks down much more quickly.

Its sold in brown bottles due to the light sensitivity
Well yeah it's the breakdown yielding 01 that gives it disinfecting properties on a wound. I deleted my post on H2O2 to reduce confusion but now it sounds like you're supporting it, so care to explain?

Probably not for too long.

Its sold in brown bottles due to the light sensitivity

Just like beer.

I find that if I have an ear infection, the more beer I drink the less I think about my ears.

I mix up my ear beer with a 33/33/33 mix of Hydrogen peroxide,alcohol, and vinegar .

I make it up in a small bottle , and it lasts about 1 to 2 months till the hydrogen peroxide starts to loose its fizz.

Jim breslin

To clarify, the OP was not adding any hydrogen peroxide to his earwash.
He did...
I have used 50/50 alcohol hydrogen peroxide for almost my entire life since I had 4 ear surgeries as a young child (over 40 years ago). As a comercial diver in my teens and college I was prone to infection. this mixture was the savior. I use it with my children now and works great.

Well yeah it's the breakdown yielding 01 that gives it disinfecting properties on a wound. I deleted my post on H2O2 to reduce confusion but now it sounds like you're supporting it, so care to explain?

You said the alcohol would break it down.I dont think alcohol would,but other things will.

We seem to be getting off topic.................:D

I believe that DocV said that the acidity in the vinegar breaks down in time after mixing. If the mix had stability, you could buy it OTC.
Thanks, Don. As I said, I'm not averse to remixing it periodically if (as it seems) that will make it work better.

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom