Alcohol-Vinegar Earwash Expiration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've seen one or two posts recently that I read as saying the vinegar in an earwash mix (50-50 Alcohol-Vinegar) is ineffective a month after making up the mix.

I'm willing to start refreshing my stash each month, but I'm curious. Is this true and can anyone explain what happens in a small (1 or 2 fluid ounce) closed bottle to cause the vinegar to degrade?

Best regards,
Bryan

I believe that DocV said that the acidity in the vinegar breaks down in time after mixing. If the mix had stability, you could buy it OTC.

My cost on 1 oz of 50% alcohol in pints is 6.8c
1 oz white vinegar costs me less than 2.3c I think
2 oz of mix for 9c, replace monthly... :)

That's my approach anyway. I didn't bother for decades but then started incurring ear infections that would put me in the doctor's office on the verge of tears. Since I became diligent at using that rinse after each dive, no problems. It's also the approach my grandson's ear doc suggested.

Last edited:
I have used 50/50 alcohol hydrogen peroxide for almost my entire life since I had 4 ear surgeries as a young child (over 40 years ago). As a comercial diver in my teens and college I was prone to infection. this mixture was the savior. I use it with my children now and works great.

n. m.

Last edited:
It's often interesting to see how quickly a thread will degenerate. It took three posts for the replies to begin to wander off topic and four for it to begin to turn into a debate.

RETURNING to the original question -- Having a minor in chemistry including organic and biochem., I cannot imagine this degenerating and becoming ineffective if properly stored. Minimize the air space where you store your mixture (in other words fill your container up or use a squeezy bottle so you can seal it without an air space) and keep it cool and out of light and you ought to be fine.

Why not just mix up as much as you anticipate using within a month's time?. And store the components separately.

[I got beat up last time I posted something on these forums so I'll go put my helmet on}

I did check up on the mixture of the two chemicals together and there should be a small amount of isopropyl acetate ( an ester) produced, but I think no big deal in the absence of a catalyst.

Also the product, "Aquaear" seems to be an OTC mixture of isopropyl alchohol and acetic acid.

I've seen one or two posts recently that I read as saying the vinegar in an earwash mix (50-50 Alcohol-Vinegar) is ineffective a month after making up the mix.

I'm willing to start refreshing my stash each month, but I'm curious. Is this true and can anyone explain what happens in a small (1 or 2 fluid ounce) closed bottle to cause the vinegar to degrade?

Best regards,
Bryan

Last edited:
Mixing it with alcohol probly breaks down the H2O2 molecule quickly yielding H2O t

Why would it? Do you have a mechanism for that reaction or a published paper?

Many things catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (Put a drop of blood into peroxide and watch what happens!) but alcohol aint one of them.

Ian Ph.D (Chemistry) :wink:

Why would it? Do you have a mechanism for that reaction or a published paper?

Many things catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (Put a drop of blood into peroxide and watch what happens!) but alcohol aint one of them.

Ian Ph.D (Chemistry) :wink:
I hate it when I'm wrong but thanks; I hate it worse when I am allowed to continue wrong.

So the hydrogen peroxide he mixes will stay active huh?

We seem to be getting replies from members much more qualified than me to I'll keep reading.

If maintaining a certain acidic pH (in the 3-4 pH range) in his alcohol-vinegar mixture is what the OP is worrying about, perhaps an at-home experiment is in order. Prepare a batch in a small bottle and test the pH with commercially available pH strips at weekly or monthly intervals. I suspect that the properly stored mixture will "last" longer than one month.

FWIW, I'm not going to assert any authority in this matter by claiming college or graduate studies in the field of organic chemistry, biochemistry, or medicine (since presumably the earwash has two functions -- 1. to lower the pH in the ear canal making it inhospitable to common skin flora and opportunistic pathogens and 2. to dry out the ear canal which should mitigate microbial growth). I'm just a bum on the Internet, so what do I know?

So the hydrogen peroxide he mixes will stay active huh?

Probably not for too long.

Hydrogen peroxide is unstable and decomposes to water and oxygen. In cool temperatures,no light and no impurities that takes months/years. Heat it up,shine bright light on it, add some gunk and it breaks down much more quickly.

Its sold in brown bottles due to the light sensitivity

Back
Top Bottom