Alachua Sink vs. Alachua Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
There seems to be 2 Alachua Sink systems, the one behind Sonny's BBQ and the other at the North rim of Paynes Prairie. Is the Paynes Prairie Alachua Sink diveable? Just wondering, no intention of doing it.

I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to this!

There seems to be 2 Alachua Sink systems, the one behind Sonny's BBQ and the other at the North rim of Paynes Prairie. Is the Paynes Prairie Alachua Sink diveable? Just wondering, no intention of doing it.

I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to this!
I know that the one in Payne’s Prairie is FULL of gators.

I’ve never heard of anyone diving it. Between the atrocious vis and them sho’ ‘nuff gators, I think any would-be diver would have a tough time.

The Alachua Sink behind Sonny's is formally known as Mill Creek Sink. The property is owned by the NSS but managed by a guide system. It's a beautiful system when it's clear, but frequently the run-off from Mill Creek leaves visibility minimal in the basin and cavern zone. It's also deeper than recreational dive profiles. Due to the depths and an unfortunate fatality in 1993, it is a guided system only - I became a guide in January but have only been able to take two groups because it's been blown out since February. Pre-reqs to dive there are full cave + 100 post-full cave training cave dives, trimix certification, and being a member of both the NSS and the CDS.

The Alachua Sink off the La Chua Trail in Paynes Prairie is a different beast. In addition to being full of alligators, it is a siphon, pulling water in from PP into the aquifer. The only two people I know that have ever been in there include Tom Morris and Wes Skiles, but it's possible Pete Butt has too. I may see Pete on Saturday and can ask him.

My training doesn't include evading Gators!! Perhaps PADI has that cert available? Hahaha

They teach that the first week of your "Florida Man/Woman" transition training that you get after you arrive, or as part of your freshman year of high school if you went to school here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom