Akona AKB 289-7 lb bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking into buying a gear bag that I can use as a carry-on and fit all my gear (because of work I travel a lot, and need a bag that I won't take up too much room in my cabin that I can also take out on a boat or for a shore dive). In my search, I came across this bag:Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!. Does anyone have any experience with it? Or recommend something? I'm currently using a quicksilver duffel bag, but I would prefer something that rolls. I've looked at the dive caddy, but because one of my main pieces of luggage is a backpacker's backpack, it is not an option for me.

I believe these are the same bags as the LL Bean bags (they look identical and seem to be constructed the same way). We have put several miles on our LL Bean bags and love them. They can tip over when packed top heavy, but in every other way they are a great back. Very durable and survives over-packing.

If anyone going to the "Beneath the Sea" trade show and what's to see them, we will have the following Akona bags in our booth (402-408). Stop in and check them out!

Akona
Less than 7, Less than 10, Camera Bag, Excursion Bag, Weight Bag, Reg Bags & much more!

I believe these are the same bags as the LL Bean bags (they look identical and seem to be constructed the same way). We have put several miles on our LL Bean bags and love them. They can tip over when packed top heavy, but in every other way they are a great back. Very durable and survives over-packing.

Which LL Bean bags are you referring to?

I am also considering this Akona bag but cant find it locally to check it out. I am needing a bag to hold ONLY my scuba gear. I always have a roller bag I check with all my other stuff ( I usually travel 8-10 days and do a variety of activities while on vacation. I am wanting a single bag to hold my BC, mask, wetsuit, boots, gloves, reg, computer and such. I can toss my fins into my checked bag or carry them on since I know my Apollo's wont fit into most carry on bags (my apollos are 24" long)
The LL Bean bag does appear to be the same bag as the Akona bag!!! and cheaper too! Wonder if the LL Bean is poly lined inside to resist water like most dive bags are?
Can you fit all the essential dive gear I mentioned above into that LL Bean bag? Or if anyone has that Akona and can offer up the same info.
I was also looking into the MEI Voyageur bag as well.

We purchased three of the bags on Amazon for 114 dollars per.
Solid bag that fits my XL Scubapro Classic BC, mask in protective box, reg, divecom, snorkel, fins on the outside with straps.
I recommend a mesh bag for the boat and wetgear though.
Had to buy them individually as Leisurepro sold "only one at that price", but then allowed multiple consecutive transactions.
Their website had it for $180

Yes the medium LL Bean (which I ASS-U-ME is the same as the Akona bag) will hold a standard setup. The large bag without question will. I actually use this LL Bean for my scuba gear:

Rolling Adventure Duffle, Large: Rolling Luggage at L.L.Bean

I bought it in a hideous color to save a bunch of money. It is a laminated material of some kind that is very water proof. Only time will tell if the wheels rust out but they haven't yet. The XL is big enough to hold mine and my wifes gear.

FYI, my LL Bean carry on just fit the following:

Reg Case, Regs, Mask, Log Book, Computer, BC, Weight Harness, 6 Shirts, 2 Shorts, 2 zip off legging Pants, week of Undies, 2 swim trunks, 2 rash guards, dive skin, small toiletry kit

The reg case is right at the top so I can just pop it out if they ask to see it and I can zip it up with one hand so no zippers busting at the seams. Also I am a big boy so this isn't just a bunch of doll clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom