Airway Control - Fog issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike151

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been swimming most my life (most of it underwater) and have a habit of keeping my nasal airway open while swimming underwater. Just something that I developed from childhood. Now that I am diving, I need to learn how to not leak air (fog) from my nose through my mask unless I am inteding to clear it. So, the problem is how do I get rid of a life long habit.
I had one thought that my family just might think I'm crazy for doing but if it works, then great. I'm looking for any suggestions.
Here is my first thought.
Wear my mask at home while watching a 1 hour tv show. Practice airway control to see if I can keep my mask from fogging.
I'm at a loss at this point cause there is not enough fog gel to cover a 45 min dive for me. :)

Suggestions please?

I still do that, with my beard and mustache the positive pressure keeps the mask from leaking. I use spit for defog, put on my mask and don't allow water in to rinse off the defog. I very rarely have an issue with fogging.

I haven't wached TV with my mask on since Seahunt was airing new episodes, and it adds to the ambiance to be in trunks and fins as well.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I agree with wearing a mask for practice, except for the TV part. Find a pool or some other shallow body of water and burn through tanks. Consider the annoyance of a fogged mask aversion therapy.

Another useful method is freediving. It won’t take long to reprogram your brain that leaking air through your nose, or anywhere else, equals lost bottom time.

…I haven't wached TV with my mask on since Seahunt was airing new episodes, and it adds to the ambiance to be in trunks and fins as well...

Even I never did that… only because mom wouldn’t let me :(

I always leak some air from my nose during a dive - I wear my mask fairly loose and it bubbles at the base of my nose. Never have a fogging issue though. I just use a simple spit, spread with my finger and rinse with sea-water just before submerging technique.
For some reason I've never fathomed, if I rinse with fresh water I have fogging problems. Same spit, same mask.

When equalizing your mask air space, of course, you exhale a little through the nose. I must be doing that without thinking about it all this time, as I have never had a mask squeeze. There are dives, every now & then when I am fogging up and clearing the mask more than on other dives. With more expereince this happened less and less. As for your problem, an overly simple solution: Concsiously close off your nasal passages ei. go "hhugghh" or whatever in there. No air in or out of nose--it's locked like a safe. Now breathe continuously with your mouth only. Get used to the feeling--it's mental. As suggested, you can do this in water, but it may not be really necessary. Many people seem to be "nose breathers". I had a student who was actually a "mouth breather". She couldn't mask clear completely because she would always exhale some from the mouth as well as nose when trying to clear. Practise (physical and mental) cleared up the problem.

I am with those that think an occasional nasal exhale is important in equalizing your mask. To minimize the fog effect of nose breathing you can use a defog 1 part baby shampoo to 12 parts water, and not rinse out after application. Also, leave a little water in the mask (Mike Nelson did-per the Sea Hunt reference above) With each dive, as you accumulate more bottom time, this will be less of an issue, less of a distraction.
DivemasterDennis

I am with those that think an occasional nasal exhale is important in equalizing your mask. To minimize the fog effect of nose breathing you can use a defog 1 part baby shampoo to 12 parts water, and not rinse out after application. Also, leave a little water in the mask (Mike Nelson did-per the Sea Hunt reference above) With each dive, as you accumulate more bottom time, this will be less of an issue, less of a distraction.
DivemasterDennis

Agree. I use only spit for the ocean and sometimes get a tiny bit of fog around the edges. For the pool I use SeaDrops, which works perfectly, but baby shampoo probably just as good. At the pool I think the fog being worse has something to do with air vs. water temp. and being an enclosed place--someone said that anyway. An instructor told me it helps at the pool to use the de-fog and let a little water sit in the mask while gearing up.

If your mask is of sufficient quality, and properly prepared, you can breath out your nose the whole dive without fogging it.

A few things you can do.

Use toothpaste to remove any residue from the manufacturing process. Do this several times. Alternatively you can remove the lenses and run a lighter under them.

Put the baby shampoo or spit in 10 minutes before your dive, and don't take your mask off after you put it on. Rinse first of course.

Wet your face before putting your mask on to cool it.

If these don't work, get a new mask. I breath out my nose most of the dive, and my mask never fogs.

Yes, did you make sure the silicone film was removed from the mask lens before using it? If you did not, then defog isnt going to help much. I just use spit for defog, and exhaling slightly through my nose into my mask is how I clear my ears. I never have issues with fog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom