Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are quite a number of posts on airline baggage charges for SCUBA. Airlines all treat scuba equipment differently so it doesn't make sense to say "I have travelled for X years without a problem" unless you state what airline you always or typically use. US Air is one of the worst for travelling with scuba gear (apparently).

Also next time if all you have is a mask and a snorkel, tell them it is snorkelling equipment not scuba equipment.

I just wanted to bring up another point, american just lowered its free domestic limit to 50lbs/bag. It is now $25 for bags between 50-70 lbs. The international limits are now not posted and you have to call to find out what they are.

I am pretty pissed off about this as I worked really hard to get my SCUBA gear to 60-65 lbs in one bag, now I am going to have to split my gear between two bags.

seabass once bubbled...

I am pretty pissed off about this as I worked really hard to get my SCUBA gear to 60-65 lbs in one bag, now I am going to have to split my gear between two bags.
Really? What are you packing? I can usually get 90% of my clothes and all my scuba gear in one bag at just under 50 pounds. My second checked bag is all camera gear and will be a problem getting it under 50 pounds. I'll probably have no choice but paying for extra weight on that one.

Are you packing weights or lights in your scuba bag? One way to minimize weight is to rent lights. Weights are usually included in your dive cost and supplied by the dive operator, so in most cases you don't need to pack em.

Ps: I usually fly northworst and have had no issues to date on checking scuba gear. I guess we will see in a month, if anything has changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom