Airline Travel with Dive Rite Z-knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone traveled via airline with a Dive Rite Z-knife?

Seems to me that it may be a gray area from the TSA, I could not see, perhaps I missed it, what category it fit in.

Anyone been stopped with one, told it is okay?

I would interpret the rules as not they're not allowed in carryon, even though they seem less objectionable than some of the things that are specifically allowed. I suppose maybe you could break the blade out of it's housing. But it doesn't really matter if some people get them through in carryon, you may or may not, it's pretty much up to the TSA agent. If you're checking a bag I'd certainly put this in checked. If you're attempting to travel with carryon only then leave it home or be prepared to lose it.

I never attempted it...I have mine on my computer strap, and I carry my computer in my carry on bag, but usually stick it in with some other stuff just in case...it's not a huge loss if it get's confiscated, but why worry about the hassles with the TSA :shakehead:

I brought my regular dive knife in my checked baggage to Bonaire. After both flights there was a letter inside from the TSA saying they inspected my bag. The knife was still there.

I wouldn't try it in carry on since it will probably be considered a razor blade.

I have no problems with my dive shears. They meet TSA guidelines.
I do not check any of my bags. I travel light enough/ with just what I need and everything fits in my carry-on. Clothes in my backpack with my chargers and laptop.

I carry a printed list from the TSA website saying that shears with a blade under x length is allowed. Never been asked.

A TSA agent removed my wife's tweezers and my nail clipper (there was NO blade in it) a while ago... No big loss, both were easily and cheaply replaced. :) Never attempted to bring a dive knife in my carry-on, it is always in the checked luggage.

I would rather err on the side of caution and pack anything that you think MIGHT be questionable in the checked luggage.

I lost one of these ResQMe seatbelt cutters to the TSA a few months back after carrying it with me for over 2 years through numerous airports. I can't stand to fly commercial because of the insane randomness of the TSA. However, they supposedly meet the guidelines for TSA.

Meanwhile, my briefcase had no less than 10 lethal pens (punch one in the right spot and see what happens) and many feet of perfectly acceptable garrote cleverly disguised by Bose and Apple as headphone cables and power cords.

Truly, we have got to get this whole "security" thing under control.

Back to the topic, I think the ResQMe think would actually be a pretty good backup cutter for diving. It's basically a very small z-knife with the addition of a spring loaded window punch. The punch won't help anything that I know of, but the unit itself is small and would hook to a D-ring with a split ring. You just pull it off to expose the blade and use it and push it back on when you are done. And, it's pretty secure. I have never had one accidentally pull off my keyring.

I bought 5 or 6 a while back (I give them to friends and family sometimes) so I think I'll just clip one to my BC and see how it works out. They're cheap so no harm if it rusts or gets lost.

Attachments

• RQM1.jpg
    RQM1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 83
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom