Dive Rite Slide Lock reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am in the market for a reel for wreck diving and came across the Slide Lock series by Dive Rite.
I think I like the one-handed operation to lock and unlock (video below).

They're available online though Dive Rite has the product retired for a while now. Anyone know why they decided to stop making them? Issues with the product? Anyone uses this reel?

Thanks!

I have a SL reel from Dive Rite and it's been my primary reel for cave diving for a while now. Honestly, I don't love it and the one-handed operation is nice sometimes but can also be wonky. At least that's been my experience. My next primary reel will be a more traditional lock-down (screw down) type.

Hi,

I am in the market for a reel for wreck diving and came across the Slide Lock series by Dive Rite.
I think I like the one-handed operation to lock and unlock (video below).

They're available online though Dive Rite has the product retired for a while now. Anyone know why they decided to stop making them? Issues with the product? Anyone uses this reel?

Thanks!

If you dive the Resor off NJ there's one for free somewhere courtesy of Mr. @Andy in Gap :)

Bummer about Andy's reel.
Yeah that is a bummer. I hate losing stuff... there's a nice SMB w/spool on the Mohawk in NJ and a light up in the St. Lawrence courtesy of yours truly. Happens to the best (or worst?) of us

You're welcome to whoever finds them!

I used them as jump reels during cave class. Wasn't a huge fan of the mechanism over a regular thumb screw or simple finger spool.

I have one and it has come unlocked on me too many times at VERY inopportune times.

I drilled and tapped it for a thumb screw.
oh wow, definitely not something I'm looking for. Thinking about it more, I can see it becoming unlocked simply by snagging the line while I am tying it around something. I think I am going to go for one with a screw instead indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom