Airline safety in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you misunderstood. Chip cards work in ATM's in Bali - and elsewhere in Indo. I think JohnN meant to say that he didn't know whether they were more secure for ATM access than the magnetic strip cards are. I have used my chip card throughout Indonesia in the 7 years since I've had one. Never encountered an issue with it.

I jumped the gun - a bit of googling assured me the same. Good to hear citibank is there too ... so no penalty on withdrawals.

When you say "very public" do you mean ATMs inside a bank or ones on a street corner/shopping mall area?

I think you misunderstood. Chip cards work in ATM's in Bali - and elsewhere in Indo. I think JohnN meant to say that he didn't know whether they were more secure for ATM access than the magnetic strip cards are. I have used my chip card throughout Indonesia in the 7 years since I've had one. Never encountered an issue with it.

Yes. But just because your debit card is chipped, it doesn't necessarily mean the ATM will use the chip for the transaction. In the US, banks and merchants are in transition. My replacement debit card is chipped, but for most merchants, I still swipe it as before.

By "public", all the ATMs were in Bank logo'd booths (nicely air conditioned)

US Banks, do not hold you liable for fraud on the cards. So I will be getting the money back (eventually)

Thanks Guys. Now back to the topic of this thread - I was spooked too about flying a low cost Airline that might be struggling financially. But the alternative Garuda prices for a short flight from DPS to LBJ were a mind-blowing >$600 at peak while Lion/Wings was ~$130 ... I triple checked on google flights before finally giving in to the more reasonable alternative and a small gamble on my life.

Pearlman

Sorry after posting saw the post about the missing plane. Prayers and hope all are found ok.

Speaking of airlines (not to tangent) has anyone has issues booking on Garuda lately? I have tried their website and via their call center and have had no luck with them taking my credit card even though I have used it successfully to book flights with them a few months ago. any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to also check w your card to let them know of the attempted foreign charge. Some transaction stuff just doesnt work. Then you need either booking agent or contact local office foe snail type booking. Thats what we did w one airline, i think lion air.

BTW, even if u Dive/die from the plane, its just high altitude diving! Lol!!

Thanks tsuyoshi. Yeah we had booked with this card a few months ago for Garuda so it seemed to work then. Garuda themselves seemed to think they have been having issues but only recommendation was to have someone in indo book it for you or use a 2nd party website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom