Airline safety in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a long stay in Indo with wonderful dives, but it is a concern that air safety in Indo ranks very low:

Arnold Barnett, a statistician at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who specializes in airline safety, said that the death rate in airplane crashes over the past decade in Indonesia was one per million passengers who boarded. That rate is 25 times the rate in the United States.

“To assert that the disparity is only a coincidence or manifestation of bad luck would be preposterous,” Mr. Barnett said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/01/world/asia/airasia-flight-8501-indonesia-airline-safety.html

All airlines except Garuda are banned from flying in EU airspace:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...426/How-dangerous-is-flying-in-Indonesia.html

Well, there might not be much to say but I thought I would at least ask around to see what comments you might have. We do plan to go to some places served only by Indonesian airlines such as Garuda or Lion Air.

I'm trying to talk myself into the idea that one in a million chances are not so bad.....

Thanks,

Bill

We are planning a long stay in Indo with wonderful dives, but it is a concern that air safety in Indo ranks very low:

Arnold Barnett, a statistician at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who specializes in airline safety, said that the death rate in airplane crashes over the past decade in Indonesia was one per million passengers who boarded. That rate is 25 times the rate in the United States.

“To assert that the disparity is only a coincidence or manifestation of bad luck would be preposterous,” Mr. Barnett said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/01/world/asia/airasia-flight-8501-indonesia-airline-safety.html

All airlines except Garuda are banned from flying in EU airspace:

How dangerous is flying in Indonesia? - Telegraph

Well, there might not be much to say but I thought I would at least ask around to see what comments you might have. We do plan to go to some places served only by Indonesian airlines such as Garuda or Lion Air.

I'm trying to talk myself into the idea that one in a million chances are not so bad.....

Thanks,

Bill

I just came back from my 5th trip to Bali. I'd be more concerned about riding in a car on Indonesian roads :wink:

I fly to Indonesia about 8-10 times a year - both for work and dive holidays. In 12 years, no problems. Had plenty of flight delays and missed connections (Indonesia is notorious for it), but nothing serious. My general philosophy tends to be that on domestic flights in Indonesia, I will only fly during the day, preferably early morning. I avoid domestic late afternoon and night flights like the plague. There may not be much in it, but the incidents that stick in my head are the ones where the crashes have happened as the sun is going down.

I prefer Garuda simply due to the fact it's a full service airline and I can rack up frequent flyer miles, but it is more expensive.

When I lived in Singapore I used to fly to Indonesia a lot on Lion. It certainly feels like a budget airline, but I didn't really have the sense that it was unsafe.

But you have to be realistic. The further you get away from G7 countries, there is going to be a gradual decreasing of standards. But as others say, statistically by far your biggest risk is going to be in the taxi to and from the airport.

Been on Garuda, Lion Air, Wings, Express, and Trans Nusa on numerous domestic flights over 10 years. Delays are issue No. 1, followed by luggage, either lost or overwight. Never experienced anything more dramatic/traumatic. Unless it was our Lion Air pilot aborting our landing in Makassar when we were in our landing approach because of heavy rain, and then diverting to Balikpapan. We landed there and waited until the Makassar weather cleared, then reboarded and went back. And that was handled very smoothly and professionally.

If you're concerned enough to post about it, then I would stick to Garuda. You will be more relaxed and enjoy the lead up to the trip more, IMO.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.' :wink:

Lots of ways to look at it, but life is full of risk every day. You can trip and fall on your front step, you can drown in 6" of water, some folks can die from a bee sting. How many people will die in car accidents in the US but still have a few drinks and drive on home. How about a heart attack running a marathon...? I'd rather die in a plane crash on my way to an incredible dive destination that sitting in a Lazyboy watching the 5 o'clock news. You can probably source US airline crashes back to maintenance failures so I'm not all that confident US airlines are any better than the rest of the world.

^^^this except for going down in the plane on the way to fabulous diving. I'd prefer it to be on the way home from fabulous diving. :wink:

I think part of the reason is the horrendous terrain and weather conditions in certain parts on Indo, especially West Papua. Watch this show and you'll see what I mean!

[video=youtube;HT5gUKJidi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT5gUKJidi0[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom