Airlines safety records

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I compiled a list of the safety ratings of various airlines serving Indonesia. This was motivated by the fact that I read that Indo has the worst safety record of any country -- some 25 times worse than the US.

The ratings are from here:
Airline Ratings The top score is 7.

Before anyone gets upset, yes, I agree that flying is the safest way to travel. Nevertheless I think it is judicious to avoid budget airlines in a developing country with low safety ratings. You may think otherwise.

YMMV. Information only.

I also put the seat sizes for those airlines we plan to use.

AirlineSafetySeat Pitch
Silk Air732
China Southern729 - 32"
Sri Lankan732
Air Nuigini632"
Jet Star Asia728 - 29
Jet Airways530
Tiger Air Sing528 - 29"
Cebu Pacific429- 30"
Tiger Air Aus4
Air Asia Indo2
Lion Air1
CitiLink1

I really don't pay any attention to these lists. I have flown Lion Air a lot and Air Asia Indo and a lot ''worse'' airlines - check out Susi Air - now they are a thrill a minute and I see they are back flying again. I fly garuda into Sorong now but for a lot of years there were not a lot of options other than air what??? that no one had heard of to a lot of places I wanted to go. I am still here.

I flew home from Thailand a couple of nights ago on Virgin. I was chatting to the stewardess on the almost empty red eye about the weather when she said Oh dont worry, this is a really good old plane.
I suggested nervous passengers may not be happy with an Old Plane to which she replied..without missing a beat..Experienced! that's what i meant - its an Experienced plane. From now on im going to ask how experienced the plane itself is and thank her for the great laugh. I figure if my destiny is to fall out of the sky in a metal tube hurtling along at ridiculous speeds then that's what my ending is. I hope not, but I am not going to avoid a destination because the airline gets a bad rating if that is the only airline that gets me there.

Interesting when your link shows Air Madagascar having a 4.5/7 rating when I have been trying to contact them for months and their own staff refer to them as Air Maybe..maybe they will fly, maybe they wont. I guess these ratings are based on incidents/accidents. I got a contact for a witchdoctor offering an impressive range of services in Madagascar from one of their email addresses on the web within days yet I am still waiting on the Airline to respond to my emails - I guess they get a good rating because from what I can find they spend more time on the ground than in the air so less chance of accidents but they apparently are good at leaving passengers, diplomats, members of the government or business travellers stranded for days - weeks. I hear the divings worth a look though.

<insert eye roll here>

I've been on an Aeroflot flight from Mongolia to Russia when I was sitting in the lounge in Ulan Bator drinking with what turned out to be the pilot.

Do your own research. Make your own decisions. Just like you would with choosing a dive resort or liveaboard - what may be acceptable for one person may not be for another.

Wetpup, shouldn't you be busy packing or something? ,)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For an individual flight, choice of airline is a crap shoot. But statistically you would expect the larger and more successful airlines to have better safety records over a broader spread of flights.

I have flown a few of those airlines. No surprise that Silk Air (better known as Singapore Airlines) has the highest safety rating. I wouldn't have put China Southern in the same class, but always nice to hear.

Not shocked to see Lion near the bottom. I have flown Lion a few times and it always seems to be an old plane and there always seems to be a few things rattling when you feel they shouldn't be when you take off and land.

Surprised not to see
Garuda Indonesia anywhere on the list. The national airline of Indonesia doesn't fly to Indonesia?

. . .

Surprised not to see
Garuda Indonesia anywhere on the list. The national airline of Indonesia doesn't fly to Indonesia?

Looks like the site Bill got these ratings from gives Garuda a 3. (They would fit in the blank line in Bill's list between Tiger Air Aus and Air Asia Indo.) They got dinged a point for a 2007 crash on landing that killed 20 people. Simply being based in Indonesia costs them another point, since Indonesia's civil aviation authority doesn't get a category 1 rating from the FAA. Based on what I have read, I think Garuda deserves a higher rating.

PAL Express is still in business? I thought it has been withdrew by PAL several yrs ago!

I compiled a list ......
I think it is judicious to avoid budget airlines in a developing country with low safety ratings. You may think otherwise.

If you're going to spend a year in Bali, I would suggest you relax your expectations of how things should operate, given their score on a 'list'. Maybe just relax and let it happen ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom