Airline safety in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from my 5th trip to Bali. I'd be more concerned about riding in a car on Indonesian roads :wink:

And the ferries. Avoid the ferries.

After thinking it over, we decided to stay home and watch TV. NOT !!!!

But we do think that it would be prudent to:

a) avoid budget airlines in a country that is struggling with its aviation safety record;

b) avoid flying at night if we can;

c) avoid flying in bad weather -- but I don't see us being in control of that very often.

d) avoid the most dangerous airports / airstrips.

e) avoid the ferries.

Thanks for your comments. Garuda Indo here we come!

- Bill

I have flown both Garuda and Lion Air (we go to Indonesia every year for almost the past eight years). I would say there are noticeable differences between Garuda and lion. Garuda definitely feels more like a western level airline in Indonesia. Procedures like seatbelts, etc. are followed and I haven't had any worries about the planes. On Lion, I haven't necessarily been worried about the plane itself, but procedures like seatbelts seeming to be optional and having to manually count how many passengers there are on board with a clicker do tend to leave me a little less comfortable with the safety. So for this year we plan to fly Garuda. I also believe that I read somewhere that Garuda is the only Indonesian airline to be certified to western safety standards. We have flown all over the world and I have no issue flying on Garuda or even Lion Air for that matter. Some flights I've taken inter island in the Caribbean have scared me worse :wink: I hope this helps even though I did not provide very much concrete information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_1170.jpg

From an entirely independent source..my 68 year old mother looking over my shoulder reading this thread....Oh for goodness sakes, I thought Lion Air were better when you made me go to Mingkanbau than going to Kota Kinabalu on Air Malaysia.

From an entirely independent source..my 68 year old mother looking over my shoulder reading this thread....Oh for goodness sakes, I thought Lion Air were better when you made me go to Mingkanbau than going to Kota Kinabalu on Air Malaysia.

68! Is that "old"? :balloons:

A bit off topic, but my wife and I just got back from two weeks in Bali.

We were both uber-careful about only withdrawing money from very public ATMs and looking for evidence of card skimmers on the card reader.

Despite this, we had two separate debit cards hacked and significant fraudulent charges run up. The best guess of the banks right now is that someone compromised the internals of the ATM machine and pulled our card details.

Fortunately, we were home before the worst of the hacks occurred and could suspend our debit cards and have new ones over-nighted. I can only guess what a poop-show this would have been if we were still in Bali.

I would strongly suggest you regularly check your ATM activity and try and make arrangements with your bank(s) to get you new cards ASAP if this happens during your stay. Of course I would recommend carrying some Benjamins, just in case

A bit off topic, but my wife and I just got back from two weeks in Bali.

We were both uber-careful about only withdrawing money from very public ATMs and looking for evidence of card skimmers on the card reader.

Despite this, we had two separate debit cards hacked and significant fraudulent charges run up. The best guess of the banks right now is that someone compromised the internals of the ATM machine and pulled our card details.

Was it a magentic strip card or chip based? I am heading there next month so I need to know if they are able to hack non-magnetic cards. There are now bluetooth based ATM card skimmers that transmit the codes to a nearby device. See: Tracking a Bluetooth Skimmer Gang in Mexico

Pearlman

Was it a magentic strip card or chip based? I am heading there next month so I need to know if they are able to hack non-magnetic cards. There are now bluetooth based ATM card skimmers that transmit the codes to a nearby device. See: Tracking a Bluetooth Skimmer Gang in Mexico

Pearlman

We both had magnetic strip debit cards. I'm not sure if the ATM machines in Ubud would take advantage of a chip based card.

We both had magnetic strip debit cards. I'm not sure if the ATM machines in Ubud would take advantage of a chip based card.

You mean one can't withdraw money in Bali using a chip based card? !! :shocked2: Holy crap! It was going to be my primary source of funds ...
Are the ATM cards not upgraded to read electronic chip cards in Indonesia?

Pearlman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom