Airline Prices to Bonaire - ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmcdarris

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning my 4th trip to Bonaire. In the past I have flown Delta and the ticket prices have always been $750-$850. I have been checking periodically and the prices are now averaging $1,200 - $1,800 (that’s more than I’m paying for an all inclusive week of diving). What gives? Is anyone involved in the airline industry who can provide some insight? I’m thinking maybe I should consider other locations.

I suspect it is just supply and demand. People have been waiting for the gates to open and a year's worth of interest is now being compressed into half a year, and only 2 of 3 airlines are flying there from the US.
June is VERY high right now, July is getting there, August is beginning to see some reasonable prices. Sept goes back up (see below).
it makes a huge difference exactly which day you fly, and which day you check prices.
Right now, RDU-BON RT for 7 days on Delta, Saturday to Saturday, is running $756 to $1466 in June, depending on which Saturday you choose. Weds-Weds trips are $596-$685. These are the lowest prices, and may not be the most convenient flights.
In July, Sat-Sat is $1201 to $2086, and Weds-Weds is $566-$641.
In Aug, Sat-Sat is $661-$881 and Weds-Weds is $566-$2247.
In Sept Sat-Sat is $1411-1776 and Delta has stopped Weds flights, which pushes up the Sat prices.

You'll find American prices better than Delta, pretty much across the board.

I suspect it is just supply and demand. People have been waiting for the gates to open and a year's worth of interest is now being compressed into half a year, and only 2 of 3 airlines are flying there from the US.
June is VERY high right now, July is getting there, August is beginning to see some reasonable prices. Sept goes back up (see below).
it makes a huge difference exactly which day you fly, and which day you check prices.
Right now, RDU-BON RT for 7 days on Delta, Saturday to Saturday, is running $756 to $1466 in June, depending on which Saturday you choose. Weds-Weds trips are $596-$685. These are the lowest prices, and may not be the most convenient flights.
In July, Sat-Sat is $1201 to $2086, and Weds-Weds is $566-$641.
In Aug, Sat-Sat is $661-$881 and Weds-Weds is $566-$2247.
In Sept Sat-Sat is $1411-1776 and Delta has stopped Weds flights, which pushes up the Sat prices.

You'll find American prices better than Delta, pretty much across the board.
I’d actually call it price gouging!

I had booked for October in United and it was expensive, but I could stomach it. Then United canceled the reservations with no explanation (shady move) last month - with these truly outrageous airfares, I may just cancel and go someplace else as many other people I know that had plans to go are contemplating as well.

I’d actually call it price gouging!
I think it is considered price gouging only if it is considered a necessity. If it is simply more than you are willing to pay, it is just a high price.
They are free to charge what they want, you are free to not go to Bonaire.
There are still some very good prices showing, especially if you fly on Weds.
I got a decent price on Delta, but I bought it before the floodgates opened.
That is how Supply and Demand works.

Airlines easily forget treating customers like humans and any chance they can screw the consumers, they in fact will. Due to the recent pandemic they will try to recoup their losses in the minimal amount of time possible.

Get ready to grab your ankles.

Now is the time to use those miles/points you accumulated while staying home for the past year. Of course, the prices in miles similarly reflect the increased demand.

I think it is considered price gouging only if it is considered a necessity. If it is simply more than you are willing to pay, it is just a high price.
They are free to charge what they want, you are free to not go to Bonaire.
There are still some very good prices showing, especially if you fly on Weds.
I got a decent price on Delta, but I bought it before the floodgates opened.
That is how Supply and Demand works.
Sorry - I don’t agree in this case. I believe that the airlines are just taking advantage of the situation and sticking it to passengers and that’s abusing supply and demand in my opinion.

You guys complaining about the fares need to look at Wednesday flights, and American. There are still good fares....but not for all days for all flights.

You guys complaining about the fares need to look at Wednesday flights, and American. There are still good fares....but not for all days for all flights.
You guys rushing to defend the airlines and their crazy airfares might want take the time to realize that many folks might not have flexibility in scheduling as they have planned Sat-Sat group trips (ours is rescheduled from last October).

Back
Top Bottom