Airfares gone through the roof!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah - the in & out of Coz flights never change but they change our connections in & out of Austin ALL the time! It's a real PIA! Our return flight - Houston to Austin - went from an hour-45 minute connection time to 59 minutes. I keep hoping they'll shift it back a bit. As it stands, not sure we can make it through immigration, customs and back through security to catch our flight.
You can probably get them to shift you to a later flight without charging you the change fee. 59 minutes is pretty tight; if you get flagged for extra scrutiny at customs or if another flight or two dumps their load in immigration at the same time you won't make the connection.

Diver Kat:
Yeah - the in & out of Coz flights never change but they change our connections in & out of Austin ALL the time! It's a real PIA! Our return flight - Houston to Austin - went from an hour-45 minute connection time to 59 minutes. I keep hoping they'll shift it back a bit. As it stands, not sure we can make it through immigration, customs and back through security to catch our flight.
You can probably get them to shift you to a later flight without charging you the change fee. 59 minutes is pretty tight; if you get flagged for extra scrutiny at customs or if another flight or two dumps their load in immigration at the same time you won't make the connection.
We've thought about that, but the next flight has a 3 hour 19 minute connection time - so we're just staying put for now.

If you don't make the connection won't you just end up on that flight anyway?

I was planning out a trip for my sister and one flight option had them arriving in Houston from Cancun at 3:50 and flying out of Houston at 4:20. I don't see any way that they AND their bags are going to pass through customs and be on that other flight in 30 minutes.

You want to go when? Now?! :shocked2: Or are you shopping for next year? Carnival is always in action isn't it? Dang!
I think the solution is planning. I booked my 2/15 flight in November, from NYC to CZM less than $400. Booked October in January under $400 as well. Looking into a summer trip, hope to be as lucky again.
I looked then and my fares from Lubbock were twice as high as they had been; Roatan was cheaper. :silly: They came down, but I'd already booked for Roatan.
...even $50 per ticket would be worth flying into Cancun.
Really?! I'm thinking $100 minimum savings needed to go that way.

Too bad you didn't say when you want to go. I love these puzzles. If you are flexible on dates, you can get there and back for less than $400 including taxes - nothing to cry about. You want to go directly to Coz this weekend...?!

ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 26 01.27.jpg

Or Feb 5 or 9 by way of Cancun...?

ScreenHunter_05 Jan. 26 01.28.jpg . ScreenHunter_07 Jan. 26 01.31.jpg

Try Sidestep.com/Kayak.com with flexible dates and nearby airports selected. Uncheck arrive/return same airport. Hehe some dates show almost $2,000...!

Last edited:

I was planning out a trip for my sister and one flight option had them arriving in Houston from Cancun at 3:50 and flying out of Houston at 4:20. I don't see any way that they AND their bags are going to pass through customs and be on that other flight in 30 minutes.

They will put you on the next flight that has open seats on it. If that flight does have open seats, then yes they will put you on it.

The last time this happened to me, the next available flight was at 8:30am the following morning and we were on our own for a place to stay.

We had about an hour layover in Houston before going on to Baltimore. Boy that was a mistake. Only saving grace was we had my father-in-law along who doesnt walk well. I had arranged for a wheelchair to keep him moving. Instead we got Helga. I could hardly understand what she was saying other than hurry up. She pushed that wheelchair at about a steady 30 MPH. We could barely keep up. She dragged us through immigration, yelling about stay together. I couldnt see well as she was so far ahead, but I swear she was throwing body blocks in customs. After we cleared customs, she loaded ALL of us on a golf cart. We arrived just as they started calling our flight out. I felt like we did the ironman, but given the crowds we would not have made it otherwise. Think I would want more than 59 minutes. (Unless you get helga....)

That's what I'm figuring, we'll get dumped on that flight anyway ... but then ...

They will put you on the next flight that has open seats on it. If that flight does have open seats, then yes they will put you on it.

The last time this happened to me, the next available flight was at 8:30am the following morning and we were on our own for a place to stay.
Hmmmm .... We've only missed a flight once out of Houston - they canceled it due to 'equipment issues' but actually it was due to so many people canceling flights right after one of the hurricanes, so they were combining flights. We were placed on stand-by for the afternoon flight - our luggage made the flight, we didn't get on. Continental put us on the morning flight the next day. When we told them we were not from Houston, and had driven 4 hours to get there, they gave us vouchers for a free hotel and $20 of food. I have the feeling, maybe we got lucky that time. I guess maybe I need to call Continental and see what they suggest ... I just really hate sitting around airports when we're almost home! Our June trip we're doing the drive to Houston due to the price and avoid the whole connection hassle.

We had about an hour layover in Houston before going on to Baltimore. Boy that was a mistake. Only saving grace was we had my father-in-law along who doesnt walk well. I had arranged for a wheelchair to keep him moving. Instead we got Helga. I could hardly understand what she was saying other than hurry up. She pushed that wheelchair at about a steady 30 MPH. We could barely keep up. She dragged us through immigration, yelling about stay together. I couldnt see well as she was so far ahead, but I swear she was throwing body blocks in customs. After we cleared customs, she loaded ALL of us on a golf cart. We arrived just as they started calling our flight out. I felt like we did the ironman, but given the crowds we would not have made it otherwise. Think I would want more than 59 minutes. (Unless you get helga....)
Hey - do you have Helga's number??:wink:

Don,

Read my post again - I personally need to be saving $150 or more to make it worth my while - BUT - if purchasing multiple tickets (such as for the family) I can see where even $50 per ticket would be worthwhile.

Yea really. I told my father-in-law he might have to come along everytime. The VIP service was cool. As we nearly ran over people on the 10 man golf cart, I told everyone to keep their nose in the air, keep people wondering who we were. Never got any paparazzi though..... :crafty::camera::camera:

Don,

Read my post again - I personally need to be saving $150 or more to make it worth my while - BUT - if purchasing multiple tickets (such as for the family) I can see where even $50 per ticket would be worthwhile.
Ah for a group, ok. I saw you say multiple tickets, but the rest of that didn't sink in. TY.

So where is Love2? I'm pretty proud of finding him $340 tickets for this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom