Airfares gone through the roof!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning my annual Carnival trip, and airfare from Kansas City to Cozumel is nearly $1000! I've been watching it regularly hoping it would drop, but instead it's been climbing! I've never paid more than $400! What's up with this?

I had the same thing happen when trying to reschedule my trip for Spring Break. $$$$...spending enough now that I could have gone to Galapagos (well, maybe not that much)...

I see you're from KC...where do you normally dive? I dive Beaver Lake mostly!

Colleen

We've had the same sticker shock. I very nearly said no March trip this year, but.....

My name is Bill....and I'm an addict....

Dear Bill and others,

If you have not already looked into it, try Cancun. The transfer to Cozumel is not that bad and I do it most of the time myself ( I have to buy 5 tickets at a time!). Through Cancun you have a many more flights and competition, and usually $150-200 fare differential.

My web site has a section on getting to Cozumel and it pretty well explains the process.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Bill and others,

If you have not already looked into it, try Cancun. The transfer to Cozumel is not that bad and I do it most of the time myself ( I have to buy 5 tickets at a time!). Through Cancun you have a many more flights and competition, and usually $150-200 fare differential.

My web site has a section on getting to Cozumel and it pretty well explains the process.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I agree 100 percent. My wife and I flew into Cancun January 8th, from NYC. Two tickets $535. Roundtrip shuttle from Cancun to Playa del Carmen ferry, $105. Ferry to Cozumel, $22.

Just something to think about :coffee:

Roundtrip shuttle from Cancun to Playa del Carmen ferry, $105. Ferry to Cozumel, $22.

Is that US dollars or pesos ? The ADO bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen costs about 100 pesos (USD 8,50), and I think the ferry was 140 pesos in december (USD 12). Those are one way prices.

I think the solution is planning. I booked my 2/15 flight in November, from NYC to CZM less than $400. Booked October in January under $400 as well. Looking into a summer trip, hope to be as lucky again.

Is that US dollars or pesos ? The ADO bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen costs about 100 pesos (USD 8,50), and I think the ferry was 140 pesos in december (USD 12). Those are one way prices.

All prices are in dollars. The ferry to cozumel is a one way price. The airfare and shuttle service were roundtrip prices. We took Mexicana airlines from NYC. I'd have to ask my wife the name of the shuttle service, but they were great.

Have to agree with Judy, planning early has always worked best for us - especially if it involves peak times like holidays or Spring Break. We booked our March '10 tickets back in April '09 and the fare from Austin to Coz was $289 pp. We booked our June '10 trip to Coz back in September '09 and paid $320 pp. - it's now up to $471 pp.

I have heard you can often save quite a bit flying into Cancun and doing the ferry bag drag, but have never tried it. If we were unable to book early like we do, and the price difference was great enough, we might give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom