AIR2 and the long hose...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And since you are divemastering... I'd tell you go with both the AirII and an Octo. In an emergency, it gives you lots of options, and also it lets you play show and tell with students and explain the different ways of dealing with OOA.

scubatoys:
And since you are divemastering... I'd tell you go with both the AirII and an Octo. In an emergency, it gives you lots of options, and also it lets you play show and tell with students and explain the different ways of dealing with OOA.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I myself don't care for this setup, I use a 7' primary and a bungeed backup and never really had any interest in changing.

I originally posted the question out of curiosity, per se. Most people around here that use an AIR 2 type device use a standard length hose on their primary (26"-28") which has always seemed far to restricting to manage in a real emergency. Lately, I've had more people (mostly friends, but some customers as well) come to that conclusion as well and ask what could be done about it. I've suggested the usual - switch to a longer hose on your primary, ditch the AIR 2, add a swivel - but thought that it would be interesting to see how people around the world have their regulators configured with an AIR 2 and to get their impressions of it.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. For the most part they have been helpful.

You're kidding, right?

archman:
I didn't discern much advantage in the tropics. In fact I ended up wrapping the hose around my neck twice, as I found it much easier to do that with in-water gear donning than wrapping it around my body.

In fact I ended up wrapping the hose around my neck twice, as I found it much easier to do that with in-water gear donning than wrapping it around my body. I haven't decided whether or not to go back to the standard-length primary hose or not. It would certainly make standardization with my students much simpler, but you'd have the problem of not being able to share air in a comfortable manner.
Please go back to a standard config, as your students do not need to see this.

Jason

That set-up is a little too "noose-like".

I used an Air II (with no octo) for many years and never ran into any troubles thankfully. But I recently upgraded my equipment and decided to use my old primary as an octopus and kept my Air II also. I think it just gives me more flexibility in dealing with an emergency situation. Breathing the Air II off of the BC inflator hose can limit your head movement if you are trying to look right - maybe not so big a deal but if somebody is flailing around then I want be as flexible as possible.

Jason B:
Please go back to a standard config, as your students do not need to see this.
They rarely even noticed. My field students are learning underwater research, and are already certified. With all the complaining I made about the setup, no doubt I've biased them against long hoses for all time. Oops.

Anyways, in our field location I couldn't swap back to the standard config... no spare parts. Believe me, with all the trouble I had with the long hose I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I've got a standard length hose with a swivel on the end of my 2nd stage...and of course and air2.

So the reason behind a longer hose is it's easier to share in an emergency? I hope I don't have to use mine for an emergency, but in that rare instance the distance we are apart during assent will be the last thing on my mind! (although for an instructor it might make more sense)

I am a full time charter boat DM. I use an Air2 with a regular length non-swiveled primary (though my 1st stage has a swiveling turret). I have rescued OOA divers with this configuration without any problems whatsoever. I'm not sure that I can even think of a situation in open water where I would prefer a longer hose, or where one would matter. As Walter pointed out, in real life it's a good idea to have hold of a victim's BC. They seem to appreciate it as well.

I use an AIR2 for years but sold it and switch over to a std oct setup last summer. My opinion is a longer hose on the Air2 is just "more rope to hang yourself with" ....

Here's a different view point.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear. Like Nissan says, "Everything you need, nothing you don't."

You can keep long hoses, hate'm, except for a deco hang tank, not for me.
Zeagle primaries are 30", just fine. Use a 36" second primary with my H-valve or doubles rig.
My AIR, now a Zeagle of course stays for all configurations, conditioned to it. Love AIRs, using them since they debuted.
Managed many OOAs, no problem. Teach with 'em too.
Love Zeagle's new Stiletto BC, streamlined, light and tough.

Primarily a spearfisherman, photo/videographer second. Don't like clutter, big fish can get tangled up.

Look like a freediver, but no snorkel, nearly just a tank.

I agree with Stan Waterman; he once said, "If my buddy were abducted by aliens, I'd never even notice."

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom