Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an observation, most (all?) tech divers don't rely on an air2.

Now, I'm not implying that tech divers are the final word on all dives, in all situations. I'm not even implying that all tech divers are necessarily smart. However, on dives where the margin of error is slimmer (cave/deco dives), most opt not to have an air2.
They don’t use air 2s because they like to stick to what’s reliable and time proven.

Add this to the list of your completely wrong statements. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that a diver pulls the hose off the shoulder dump, they will not lose the functionality of the BCD mounted regulator which attaches to the tank via a completely different hose.
Ok I know I know, I have said a lot of things that defies what your PADI Open water instructor told you. I understand you don’t understand where I’m coming from with some of my statements just because we have different mindsets towards diving.

But one thing I did not mean to say was that. In all seriousness, I did NOT mean to type that your air 2 gas is gone if you use a pull dump on shoulder dump. I had a long day yesterday and I don’t think my brain was fully functional when righting this comment. Apologies for that comment.

They don’t use air 2s because they like to stick to what’s reliable and time proven.

I'm still waiting on your providing statistical data upon which you base your opinion.

But one thing I did not mean to say was that. In all seriousness, I did NOT mean to type that your air 2 gas is gone if you use a pull dump on shoulder dump. I had a long day yesterday

You post a lot of things that are just plain wrong. The "I had a long day" excuse doesn't change a thing.

I don’t think my brain was fully functional when righting this comment

Your brain wasn't "fully functional when righting this comment"?

What does that even mean? You continue to make senseless posts.

Diving in a team of three, my buddy had an uncontrolled free flow. I donated my long hose and we shut her gas down. She was very comfortable doing her ascent on my long hose. By having the air2 (actually atomic's version) on my inflator hose, it meant 1) having to take it out of my mouth to vent and 2) my head was stuck looking either straight forward or to the left. The short length of the inflator hose restricts your ability to look to the right. In order to watch where all of my team members were, I had to helicopter around occasionally to keep everyone in view and of course in doing so, had to coordinate with my buddy for those movements. None of those things were a big deal, but a simple octopus bungeed under my chin would have allowed me full range of head motion and would just been simpler. Sure, I could get a longer inflator hose, but then that begins to encroach on some of the streamlining that the air2 is aiming for. For me, a bungeed hose under you chin still feels pretty streamlined.
Thank you. Someone who finally understands that yes it can work (as a secondary to a secondary if you want) but is not optimal for gas sharing scenarios.

You post a lot of things that are just plain wrong. The "I had a long day" excuse doesn't change a thing.
What have I said that’s plain wrong in accordance to your PADI Open water course? Or maybe the course you took 30 years ago when things were different?

BOOM! There it is, folks. You're gonna DIE!!!

I've got two setups. Single solo rig where I may be buddy diving. Maybe I'll have a back mounted pony necklaced while spearfishing. Maybe I won't. The Air2 5th Gen had to meet EU standards. Forget the acronym, but that reg probably breathes better than half the seconds in use today.

My other kit is back mounted doubles with a 7ft. long hose setup, no Air2.

My point? Right tool for the job. :acclaim:
Never said you will die.

You should try to dive the same configuration all the time. Why do you use a long hose only on doubles? You should use a long hose all the time so you become more proficient in its use by diving the same gear all the time (with exceptions)

Now I see how you don't maintain and inspect your gear
I do maintain and inspect my gear very thoroughly. I’m not saying you are, but don’t get arsey now :).

One thing I will say is, we have different mindsets and that’s ok.

Last edited:
I have used [ an Air 2] in an actual OOG situation. It worked, and all turned out fine, but it sure made the ascent and safety stop much more of a pain than it needed to be.

So the once or twice (if ever) in your life where you faced an OOA emergency for a few minutes, the Air 2 was not quite as convenient- meanwhile on the 100s of other uneventful dives, you aren't carrying an extra hose and mouthpiece thanks to the Air2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom