Air Integrated or non-air integrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigrid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I just passed our open water certification. I would like to get him a wrist dive computer for Christams. I understand that air integrated computers are more expensive, but won't it be nice to have everything he needs to check in one place?

Teric or perhaps the new not quite AI yet Garmin...

Considering the amount of money you will spend on your new hobby, the extra cost of air integration is a small fraction and yes it's more than worth it having all that information in one place and there's the additional benefit that the computer will calculate your bottom time based on the most restrictive factor which is a huge plus.

There are used early model air integrated computers available that work just as well as the newer expensive ones, for under $200 bucks.

It takes some practice to be able to check your SPG without thinking about it, AI is easier for this at the beginning, before you get used to finding the SPG.

To my knowledge, it will be only technical agencies that will not want you to use AI. If you don’t plan to go that route you can use AI without any issues.

And even if you do, you can just remove the AI when you need to.

Some of us like the simplicity and reliability of a gauge even when cost isn't an issue. I use a wrist computer and a SPG that I clip off to a d-ring on my waist band. You only have to check it every 5 or 10 minutes, so it's not a big inconvenience.

AI for me was more about getting good SAC/RMV measurements and being able to track them as i developed. That said, having air pressure and remaining air time right beside NDL time on the wrist is very convenient. I still carry a gauge.

To my knowledge, it will be only technical agencies that will not want you to use AI. If you don’t plan to go that route you can use AI without any issues.
All of that varies by agencies and individual instructor, and the thinking is rapidly changing.

My first computer (more than 20 years ago) was air integrated, but attached to the tank on a console. As a new diver, I liked having all the information in one place, even though I had to reach for it. What I especially liked about it was that I could see for myself how my air consumption changed due to changes in depth and the way I breathed. I therefore intuitively learned about my air consumption rate before I had a clue it was a thing.

Decades later, I am a tech instructor who uses two computers on his wrists, but neither one is air integrated. To check my air consumption, I have to refer to an old-fashioned analog gauge clipped off at my waist. That is slightly inconvenient, but that is a minor issue for me because, believe it or not, in most cases checking your air supply for advanced dives like that is less important than it is for basic recreational dives. That is because basic recreational dives end with the divers' tanks relatively close to empty. Because having enough gas is so important on a tech dive, we carry loads of it and plan to end the dive with plenty of gas in the tank. If all goes according to plan, we will end the dive with a lot of extra gas, so we only have to check every now and then to make sure everything is going according to plan.

The exception is with sidemounted divers, who have to switch back and forth between tanks. In that case, air integrated is really nice, and if I were diving sidemount more often than I do now, I would switch to AI computers.

For my tech students, I don't care which they use. I will work with whatever you bring to the dive site.

So, for a new OW diver, if you can afford AI computers, go for it.

AI for me was more about getting good SAC/RMV measurements and being able to track them as i developed. That said, having air pressure and remaining air time right beside NDL time on the wrist is very convenient. I still carry a gauge.
I used AI too to track my sac in real time, when I went on trying different breathing rhythms, and it helped so much to progress in a short space of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom