Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is H1N1 a coronavirus?
No, and/but I don't know if that makes any difference. What I do know is that the Swine Flu had nothing like the effect and response that this one is having.

Is H1N1 a coronavirus?

My point, be wary when someone tells you something can't be done when in fact it has already been done.

cv19 vaccines have already been designed. Furthermore, cv19 is 90% similar to SARS for which we already have extensive testing models and knowledge. The delay isn't in trying to find a vaccine but in testing, and H1N1 shows that can be sped up dramatically if needed. What we don't have time for is giving it to a test group of 50 then stydying them for the next two years while the research center works an 8-5 shift.

Coronavirus update: recent developments in vaccine research

Researchers have identified new compounds with activity against the novel coronavirus called COVID-19 and other coronaviruses eg, severe acute respiratory syndrome virus (SARS-CoV) and Middle-East respiratory disease virus (MERS-CoV).

Novavax Inc, which contributed to the development of other epidemic vaccines, has announced it is currently in pre-clinical animal trials for several multiple nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine candidates. According to the company, they will identify an optimal candidate and begin human testing by the end of spring 2020.

“Our previous experience working with other coronaviruses, including both MERS and SARS, allowed us to mobilize quickly against COVID-19 and successfully complete the critical preliminary steps to engineer viable vaccine candidates,” said Stanley Erck, President and Chief Executive Officer of Novavax. “Now that the protein has been expressed stably in our baculovirus system, we aim to identify the optimal candidate and scale up production of sufficient vaccine for preliminary clinical trials. We are now well-positioned to advance the COVID-19 vaccine candidate to Phase I clinical testing in May or June.”

My point, be wary when someone tells you something can't be done when in fact it has already been done.

cv19 vaccines have already been designed. Furthermore, cv19 is 90% similar to SARS for which we already have extensive testing models and knowledge. The delay isn't in trying to find a vaccine but in testing, and H1N1 shows that can be sped up dramatically if needed. What we don't have time for is giving it to a test group of 50 then stydying them for the next two years while the research center works an 8-5 shift.

Coronavirus update: recent developments in vaccine research

Researchers have identified new compounds with activity against the novel coronavirus called COVID-19 and other coronaviruses eg, severe acute respiratory syndrome virus (SARS-CoV) and Middle-East respiratory disease virus (MERS-CoV).

Novavax Inc, which contributed to the development of other epidemic vaccines, has announced it is currently in pre-clinical animal trials for several multiple nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine candidates. According to the company, they will identify an optimal candidate and begin human testing by the end of spring 2020.

“Our previous experience working with other coronaviruses, including both MERS and SARS, allowed us to mobilize quickly against COVID-19 and successfully complete the critical preliminary steps to engineer viable vaccine candidates,” said Stanley Erck, President and Chief Executive Officer of Novavax. “Now that the protein has been expressed stably in our baculovirus system, we aim to identify the optimal candidate and scale up production of sufficient vaccine for preliminary clinical trials. We are now well-positioned to advance the COVID-19 vaccine candidate to Phase I clinical testing in May or June.”
It has been a number of years. Do we have a proven SARS vaccine? How about MERS?

It has been a number of years. Do we have a proven SARS vaccine? How about MERS?

Is there a SARS vaccine?
In China, in 2004, researchers successfully vaccinated people with the SARS vaccine. They found that there were very few side effects associated with the SARS vaccine.

SARS was not really that big of a problem, infecting 8000 and killing 800 worldwide before going away on it's own about a year later. Thus there has been no need for standard vaccination against it and not as much urgency in further developing treatments and vaccines for it.

Well after reading on here this morning that United had canceled all flights to Cozumel in April I checked my reservation for April 18th--CANCELED! Not a peep from United to me or from Orbitz that I booked the flight and hotel through. I'm sure Orbitz"s is busy jumping through their butts right now dealing with all the cancellations and changes. I'll give them some time to contact me before I try to contact them to see what my options are.

There are millions of cancellations right now. All travel and airline sites are focusing on travelers with reservations in the next few days. My bet is first thing they are going to say is when are you traveling and when you say April 18 they are going to say call back in three weeks. They can't be spending time on the phone with someone looking for options next month when they have a thousand callers waiting needing options for tomorrow.

sounds like they just shut down tourist travel between the US and Mexico.

Is there a SARS vaccine?
In China, in 2004, researchers successfully vaccinated people with the SARS vaccine. They found that there were very few side effects associated with the SARS vaccine.

SARS was not really that big of a problem, infecting 8000 and killing 800 worldwide before going away on it's own about a year later. Thus there has been no need for standard vaccination against it and not as much urgency in further developing treatments and vaccines for it.
"In China, in 2004, researchers successfully vaccinated people with the SARS vaccine. They found that there were very few side effects associated with the SARS vaccine. Researchers claim that an effective and approved SARS vaccine takes three to five years to produce. There is hope, therefore, that if there is another SARS outbreak in the future, the world will be well-equipped with an effective vaccine" Kind of vague, actually.
A year after your article. Still kind of vague.
"Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is an emerging infectious disease caused by a new coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Recent studies suggest that SARS-CoV is zoonotic and may have a broad host range besides humans. Although the global outbreak of SARS has been contained, there are serious concerns over its re-emergence and bioterrorism potential. As a part of preparedness, development of a safe and effective vaccine is one of the highest priorities in fighting SARS. A number of candidate vaccines, using a variety of approaches, are under development. The first vaccine tested in clinical trial is made from the inactivated form of SARS-CoV. Several live attenuated, genetically engineered or vector vaccines encoding the SARS-CoV spike (S) protein have been in pre-clinical studies. These vaccine candidates are effective in terms of eliciting protective immunity in the vaccinated animals. However, caution should be taken with the safety of whole virus or full-length S protein-based immunogens in humans because they may induce harmful immune or inflammatory responses. We propose to use the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of SARS-CoV S protein (residues 318--510) for developing a safe and effective subunit SARS vaccine, as it is not only a functional domain that mediates virus-receptor binding but also a major neutralization determinant of SARSCoV. It has been demonstrated that the RBD of SARS-CoV S protein contains multiple conformational epitopes capable of inducing highly potent neutralizing antibody responses and protective immunity."

January 2012 Still working on it;
SARS Coronavirus Vaccine (SARS-CoV) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

In a Covid-19 article, talking about SARS

"Is there a SARS vaccine? What research is being done on SARS?

Research on a vaccine continues, but none is available yet. Most research is examining the virus itself and chemical pathways that may pose opportunities for drugs to treat it."

So no, no reliable SARS vaccine after years of trying. I believe you will find the same thing with MERS. Corona virus' are tough.

It showed an effective vaccine in 2004 just not a commercially available one. Vaccines are extremely expensive to bring to market and intensely regulated. It isn't likely to happen for something that presented an issue to so few people and retreated on it's own.

The point here is that they have several vaccines for cv19 ready for clinical testing, and the H1N1 timeline shows that the regulations and testing periods can be slashed dramatically if the need is pressing enough.

View attachment 571449 I suppose a combination of the Southwest-effect and virus scare. Last year I grumbled about paying $642 roundtrip from Lubbock. Now I could do it for $333 if I were extremely flexible. I'm already booked at $424 after paying a little more than Basic to avoid those limitations. I suppose we'll see the Virus Scare effect with any air travel for a while. My daughter is the principal at a small private school and had a trip planned for spring break to Italy, but that's canceled. Now looking at Disneyworld.

View attachment 571441

Not currently...

Air Canada has just announced that they have let 5000 people go...more and more airlines are grounding operations...and for those that still may be flying...getting out may be one thing...getting home...not so much...

Disney's operations are closed...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom