Uneasy feeling of booking an August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup... hard to believe, but I've heard similar stories: that some people test positive even though they never went on an airplane.

I suspect that the vast majority of people that test positive for Covid are not the result of their air travel.

Book your flight Don!
Oh, I did that before I posted and made other reservations. I paid for the plane with a $138 voucher from last year's chaos, a $250 credit card rebate, and $137 in new money. Even if they cancel my flights, I wouldn't get much of that back so I'll do my best to make this trip work.

Most likely it’s not going to be as easy as it once was.
When I travel with the kids, my mantra for problems & delays is "It's all part of the adventure," but going alone I mumble and groan a lot. In the event that things go from bad to worse, I do have good trip insurance - which they charge dearly for at my age. It'd be nice if my double vaccination card could get me out of some of the extra requirements, but I'm not working on those plans yet as they'll all change in the months ahead.

It'd be nice if my double vaccination card could get me out of some of the extra requirements
So much this. Went to CZM in Sept without issue via United. Booked for Feb with AA, but with all the bashing of them, I'm nervous. Haven't flown AA anywhere in probably 20 years. Usually it's Delta, but they are not going to CZM, only CUN. I spoke with an AA rep the other day. She said AA is filling their flights whereas Delta is only filling to about 60% capacity.

Anyhow Don, hope your plan goes better than last year.

I am just happy to be vaccinated! Not expecting a pass on any of the extra requirements! Just got back 2 weeks ago, flew American, it was on time and the trip was painless. Plane was about 3/4 full both ways. Planning a March trip, flying American again. We hope to be closing on our house, waiting on a closing date!

We hope to be closing on our house, waiting on a closing date!
Didn't you just recently move from New York to Georgia? Now where?

Didn't you just recently move from New York to Georgia? Now where?
My husband is a contractor and has traveled for work much of his career. Most times I just stayed home, my mom and kids were nearby. Things changed! He had a 2 year contract just south of Augusta and so I decided to go with him. He promised it would be his last job. We always wanted a home in Cozumel so we finally bought one. Hopefully closing soon.

My husband is a contractor and has traveled for work much of his career. Most times I just stayed home, my mom and kids were nearby. Things changed! He had a 2 year contract just south of Augusta and so I decided to go with him. He promised it would be his last job. We always wanted a home in Cozumel so we finally bought one. Hopefully closing soon.

Might go out to California
Might go to Georgia
Might stay home

- J. J. Cale

Well, it's never going away... it's permanent now. We just have to figure out, as quickly as possible, how to live with it. That is, figure out how to make the restrictions go away.

Oh, that's not so hard....but you won't like the solution.

The only way to get to a time when the restrictions go away, is to impose tougher restrictions now, and -- here's the hard part -- get people to actually follow them. The reason we have restrictions now is because people have refused to take the pandemic seriously since day one. Expect more of that.

As long as the lizard people insist this is all no big deal/I have a right to do whatever I want/it's a hoax/masks don't work/space-lasers started the wildfires in California/and similar nonsense...we will have restrictions.

Oh, that's not so hard....but you won't like the solution.

The only way to get to a time when the restrictions go away, is to impose tougher restrictions now, and -- here's the hard part -- get people to actually follow them. The reason we have restrictions now is because people have refused to take the pandemic seriously since day one. Expect more of that.

As long as the lizard people insist this is all no big deal/I have a right to do whatever I want/it's a hoax/masks don't work/space-lasers started the wildfires in California/and similar nonsense...we will have restrictions.
I think that we are one step away from the Pub (where I have never been), but I have to say that I totally agree with you. In defense of those people, it is difficult to grasp the nature of what we are dealing with - both the micro versus macro points of view and the nature of the exponential functions that drive pandemics. Couple that with the very human tendency to believe what we wish was reality instead of what it actually is, and you get what we've got. We missed our chance to do the relatively easy stuff; now we need to do the hard stuff so that we might not have to do the much harder stuff later on.

By the way, I saw and heard that video recording of a real live member of the US Congress blaming the California wildfires on laser blasts from aliens or space based solar power generating stations (she wasn't sure which). As long as we keep electing people like that to represent us and make policy to govern our lives, we get what we deserve.

I went to the gym yesterday. I go at the lowest peak of time and distance when able. Two members set up next to me and I ask them both to wear their masks appropriately. The gym has strict rules and plays them over the loud speaker every 15 minutes...both gave me angst, but I held firm and politely told them to conform, or move away from me. One came back to apologize a bit later.

Its simply amazing how people are just too DUMB to get it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom